Looking for good tiling managers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LowEndGeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Looking for good tiling managers Reply with quote

So i've been really into tiling managers lately due to their speed and effeciancy. So far I have used awesome, i3 (my current desktop) and spectrwm. I've been looking a great deal into herbstluftwm. I would like some opinions on what you think is a good tiling manager to try out and why. The only real requirement I have is a somwhat sane default keyboard config.
pidsley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectrwm has very sane defaults, in my opinion, and it is very easy to configure. You might also want to try dwm. If you want to easily try a bunch of tiling window managers, check out LinuxBBQ "Cream" -- 76 window managers (not all tilers, but many) on a Debian base. You can run the live version without installing. http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1301

Personally, I like the manual tilers (including herbstluftwm, musca, and especially ratpoison). I like the ability to run everything full screen and only tile when I need to.
LowEndGeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pidsley wrote:
spectrwm has very sane defaults, in my opinion, and it is very easy to configure. You might also want to try dwm. If you want to easily try a bunch of tiling window managers, check out LinuxBBQ "Cream" -- 76 window managers (not all tilers, but many) on a Debian base. You can run the live version without installing. http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1301

Personally, I like the manual tilers (including herbstluftwm, musca, and especially ratpoison). I like the ability to run everything full screen and only tile when I need to.

Thanks for the suggestion, I went ahead and just installed a list of window managers that i'll play with later. I've been hearing about musca lately too so i think i'll check it out
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: