ALSA: The head line doesn't have enough space for my problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dachschaden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: ALSA: The head line doesn't have enough space for my problem Reply with quote

Seriously, wtf is wrong with the database? Who thought that 60 characters would be enough?!

Allright, to my problem:
This morning, for a mere laugh, I decided to unmerge media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.27.2, and after a reboot I decided to merge it again. It does not matter why I did it, what matters is that my notebook, once capable of playing sound, now is mute. Totally. Not one single bling, not in VLC, not in Xfce, not in Firefox - sound is dead.
I didn't change much expect for:

- recompiling and starting a new kernel (but that can't have any effect simply because I tried to get sound with the old kernel and the same user space as well, and it didn't work, so this problem is to be found entirely in the user space).
- rebooting once to Windows (got a dual-boot system) and then booted back to Gentoo.
- extracting the EDID from my monitor and included it as kernel blob so that it does not have to perform the DDC handshake.

What I tried/searched/yelled at:

lspci -k: the snd_hda_intel module is there.
cat /proc/asound/cards:

Code:

0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7a14000 irq 46
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7a10000 irq 45

I don't use the first sound card btw, I use the PCM card ... at least I hope so. I cannot really tell because sound always worked for me with this ~/.asoundrc:

Code:

defaults.pcm.!card 1
{
        card 1
}

The device is missing, so I don't really know if it's the first or the second one. I do assume it's the first one thought, because alsamixer (I checked that one as well) shows me no options for the HDMI carc, also I deactivated the HDMI codecs in my kernel. :)
I added "device 1" thought, but no effect. System can be considered as update to date, just emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world'ed

I might add that even before kernel switching I was using a strict monolithical kernel, that is, everything is compiled in directly and is not available as a module, and it worked out. Strictly spoken: there's no reason to assume that a broken modprobe configuration in /etc/modprobe.d/ caused the problem, as ALSA was brought up long before the first sync with the hard disk is done.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked through the alsa wiki page?:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA
dachschaden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russK wrote:
Have you looked through the alsa wiki page?

As it so happens ... that was my first try.
Hardware detection ... check.

Code:

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

Kernel (wtf I didn't chang that, but OK) ... check.

alsa flag in /etc/portate/make.conf ... check.
alsa-utils merged ... check.
User in audio group ... check.

Code:

cat /etc/group | grep 'audio'
audio:x:18:dachschaden

Linux is sometimes like Windows, so what about restarting the service (/etc/init.d/alsasound)? ... no, check.

alsamixer is a big fat check.
Speaker test ... checked, but I haven't got anything. The same as with VLC.

aplay -L? Well, it's not checked, but for you:

Code:

null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
    HDA Intel HDMI, ID 2807 Digital
    HDMI Audio Output
default:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ID 668 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers

~/.asoundrc, and checked.
<Skipping all that part about HDMI>
aplay --list-devices ... huh, not checked? OK ... (Output is in german, my native language, but the format stays the same):
Code:

Karte 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], Gerät 3: ID 2807 Digital [ID 2807 Digital]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
  Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
Karte 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], Gerät 0: ID 668 Analog [ID 668 Analog]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
  Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0

<Skipping the desert about A/52 /Dolby...>
I don't use JACK or pulseaudio or whatever, so this can't be the problem.
I don't wanna use my mic ...
Troubeshooting section does not match of my problem in one single case ...
More detailed infos about the alsa stream? Sure, go on ...

[EDIT]This was removed because it would give people with the same problem a shock, and then they are likely to just skip ahead[/EDIT]

Last edited by dachschaden on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you're having trouble.

I see a lot of 'mute=1', can you switch devices in alsamixer, with F6 , and try to unmute anything
dachschaden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already did so:

Code:

┌──┐           ┌──┐           ┌──┐           ┌──┐           ┌──┐           ┌──┐           ┌──┐                     
         │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │  │                     
         │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │▒▒│           │  │                     
         ├──┤           ├──┤           ├──┤           └──┘           └──┘           └──┘           └──┘         Disabled     
         │MM│           │OO│           │OO│                                                                                 
         └──┘           └──┘           └──┘                                                                                 
                                                                                                 --------                   
         100          100<>100       100<>100       100<>100       100<>100       100<>100         0<>0                     
   <    Master    >  Headphone       Speaker          PCM         Mic Boost      Mic Boost       Capture     Auto-Mute Mode 

It occured to me just right now that I could give CTRL+SHIFT+C a try ...

===============================================================
EDIT:
===============================================================

Okay, I fixed it. I am soooooo fuckin' stupid ... gnarf. Sorry, I am really sorry wasting all your time.
I should have noticed the
Code:

├──┤
│MM│
└──┘

and that it was there for a reason. I am sorry, really. I have no idea how it got muted, but it was. Just pressing "M" in alsamixer fixed it for me. Again, I am sorry.

I shouldn't do Gentoo with such an airhead. :(
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachschaden,

Everything muted is a safe default. It saves destroying your sound system/hearing until you are ready.
You have learned this in a such a way that you won't forget.

Enjoy your Gentoo

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: