View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to call this one fixed. Compilation on setting up a fresh cross-i686-pc-linux-gnu has just finished, which means that the package that wouldn't compile now has.

What I did:
1. unmerged all the cross-dev stuff, including cross-dev itself.
2. used locate to locate i686.
3. deleted all references that weren't pertaining to ebuild files.
4. re-emerged cross-dev.
5. Used crossdev to completely re-install cross-i686-pc-linux-gnu from the ground up, with gcc-4.7.3.

I was actually rather surprised at the amount of i686 cruft was left hanging out on the system in question. There were old versions of binutils and other toolchain files just hanging out causing all manner of difficulty. Once all that stuff was gone, the re-installation process was easy.

Still, I cannot believe that someone had the temerity to more or less tell me that my so-stable-it's-no-longer-in-portage version of gcc was broken, and I had to update to the latest version. Talk about advice that makes no sense. Further, I can't believe that was coupled with that same person attacking me in a private message because I called bovine excrement on bovine excrement.

I have been working with Linux since about the time Linus whipped up the first kernel, and Pat Volkerding put it into Slackware. While I did take a few years off for listening to someone who told me there was no future in Linux (wow, what a moron!), I came back with fervor. I came back with a web site dedicated to kernel setup, run on my own server, from two different states, and five different locations in those said states. I'm not a rank amateur.

In the future, perhaps those who have an overwhelming need to be King Loo of Toilet Island might remember that not everyone who asks for help is completely without a clue. Some of us have been at it for a while. We need hints and clarification, not snot-nosed bitchiness.

Cheers,
Pappy
morbid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a bit old... and some of the "helpful" posters apparently didn't read the OP's posts, but I've had this issue twice before. So incase it's helpful to anyone else... here's all I've had to do:

Code:

# . /etc/profile
# env-update
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of garbage files that had collected due to updates that didn't completely remove the previous version(s) made a simple fix impossible. Once all the cruft was removed, things worked properly, and continue to work properly.

Cheers,
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: