[SOLVED] emerge seems to cause shutdown
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyro MX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] emerge seems to cause shutdown Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I've ran into a quite particular problem recently. I ran Gentoo for quite some time without problems now and yesterday, after running a "world" update, the system suddenly shut down. After I checked that nobody else was on my network fiddling with my machine, I rebooted and tried updating again. Again, the PC suddenly shut down while updating. I thought of the following options:

* USB issue (I was using a USB thumb drive to copy some files when the PC first shut down, removed the thing afterwards)
* BIOS issue (updated the BIOS, but it didn't fix anything)
* CRON issue (I noticed in the logs that the last thing to execute was the cron, but it was probably by chance)
* Kernel issue (I updated to kernel 3.16 recently, but I didn't have any issue with it)

So after a couple of reboots and sudden shutdowns when emerging, I noticed that the PC was always shutting down when LibreOffice was compiling. It is rebuilding a version of LibreOffice I already have, only with the additional Python 3.4 target. I've searched a bit on the Internet and I haven't seen an issue that looked like mine. I've seen cases of laptops overheating or powering off because the battery was dead, but I run Gentoo on a standard tower, always plugged in. The logs don't seem to indicate a thermal failure - nothing at boot time suggests that the sudden power off was caused by a thermal failure either.

The kernel reported a segfault once, but it only happened once among the 3-4 sudden shutdowns. The only error reported by the kernel is related to ACPI, at boot:

Code:
kernel:    0.528054 acpi PNP0A03:00: _OSC failed (AE_NOT_FOUND); disabling ASPM

I tried letting the PC on for some time without doing nothing. It's able to stay on for more than an hour, but it shuts off about 15 / 30 minutes after starting an update with portage.

I'm a bit at a loss here - I don't know if the problem is related to portage or not, but the sudden shutdown does happen only when emerging. Maybe the CPU overheats, but I believe I'd see a trace of such a thing in the logs, should that happen.

Here's some environment info:

* Arch: amd64, stable line
* Kernel : 3.16.5-gentoo
* Portage version: 2.2.8-r2
* Python targets : 2.7, 3.3 and 3.4
* GCC version : 4.8.3
* Package that portage is trying to build when shutdown happens : app-office/libreoffice version 4.2.6.3

Did anybody have a problem like this before? :P

Last edited by Pyro MX on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely overheating, do not think you could see anything in logs, shutdown is probably in hardware level. Try cleaning all dust out of your rig and make sure all fans are operational.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did anybody have a problem like this before?

I had. CPU fan cought some wire and stopped spinning. Emerge -> 100°C -> power off. I couldn't bellieve when I saw the reason.
Pyro MX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just dusted off the machine's inside. There was some dust on the CPU fan's fins, but it's all clear now. There were no wires blocking the fans either. I did turn up the case's fan up a notch, just in case :) . If LibreOffice correctly emerges without turning off the whole rig, I guess we'll be able to file that one under "yet another cooling issue" - or "emelting" :wink: .
Pyro MX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a couple of months running without a hitch, this was definitely a case of overheating. Case closed! Thanks for your help!
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] emerge seems to cause shutdown Reply with quote

Pyro MX wrote:
It is rebuilding a version of LibreOffice I already have, only with the additional Python 3.4 target.

Pyro ... you can avoid such rebuilds by using '--changed-use' rather than '--newuse', the rebuild is simply happening so that the python3.4 target aquires whatever python components are installed (which, if not switching to python3.4 as the active python interpreter is not a matter of necessity). In fact, if you have no need of python3, or nothing explicitly using it, then you could set PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" (in make.conf), rebuild with --newuse, --depclean python3, and have the one python interpreter.

With the current PYTHON_TARGETS we see rebuilds being caused because of a target being removed, these rebuilds happen even for packages that wern't built with this target, eg:

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] app-admin/pydf-10-r1  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python3_3 -python3_4% (-python3_2%)" 0 KiB

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: