Hostname changes after console login
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imre71
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Hostname changes after console login Reply with quote

Hi,

I cannot find a solution for my problem related to slim first login just after boot. I think my problem is related to a xauthority issue with X or during login process.
What's happening:
After boot I enter SLIM login console after typing user/passwd instead of Openbox I have a dark screen with a small cross mouse icon then I have to kill X then Gentoo is throwing me back to the "standard" login console and once I manage to login, I am able to launch SLIM and log to my openbox-session (btw startx works perfectly)
First clue: I start to dig out what was happening, and this drive me to the conclusion that I probably have an issue with authorization/authentication.
1. When I am in the standard linux login screen the top line states:
Code:
This is locahost.xxxx
-> which properly echoes my hostname configuration (/etc/conf.d/hostname) :

Code:
hostname = "localhost"

But once I'm logged my PS1 prompt changes to
Code:
xxxx@new-home
Issuing hostname -f gives me
Code:
new-home.home
So if I'm not wrong my hostname changes to new-home during login.

2. My first SLIM session just after boot produces a slim.auth' MIT cookies with a "none" hostname (strange because hostname should be localhost). After I killing X relogging via standard console and running a second time SLIM the MIT cookies has "new-home" hostname. My ~\.XAuthority MIT cookies has also in it a "new-home"

My conclusion: Something is happening just after I log that changes my hostname disable X authorization and avoid X session to start (due to a Authorization issue).

Could someone help me to identify what is changing my hostname "on the fly" and try to harmonize all thoses hostnames in my system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: