suggestion to network configuration for qemu on laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modnaruved
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: suggestion to network configuration for qemu on laptop Reply with quote

Hi!

Im new in advanced networking configurations tasks (setup wpa_supplicant with success its my advanced experience :) ), but needed suggestions and will be very appreciated.

I have laptop with trivial wireless connection to home router. For some my development tasks I needed qemu virtual machines with gentoo and maybe other distros.

Now attention and sorry for simple question: How I can configure internet connection to my virtual machine(s) with simple way?
Just configure bridge network as in gentoo wiki? http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_bridge

I have generic device like wlp3s0 configured with internet and connected to home router and qemu starts with something like 10.0.*.*
I know that need something like NAT, or bridge or something else (what else?). Please advice - which optimal network configuration to my case?

thanks.
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion to network configuration for qemu on laptop Reply with quote

If you install libvirtd you get networking set up for you. By default it will create a bridge, so your VMs can use DHCP straight off the LAN but it also supports the other common models of networking out of the box.
modnaruved
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerdesj wrote:
If you install libvirtd you get networking set up for you. By default it will create a bridge, so your VMs can use DHCP straight off the LAN but it also supports the other common models of networking out of the box.

Thanks for your reply.

I found this solution https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7531424.html

This works for me and big thanks to UncleVan, that share that post. Its very simple and nice approach. I dont know about security but it quite.

But libvirtd seems interesting too, because solution, based on arp_proxy and TAP needs more static.

p.s. also similar solution and some useful info (fun firewall rules to guest):

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/bridge-wireless-cards/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: