View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Intel DRM *ERROR* too many full retries, give up Reply with quote

I've recently found I'm unable to login in as a user on my laptop. SLIM (X-display manager of choice) starts fine, but when login before I can do anything it looks lie the xorg server restarts and I'm thrown back out to SLIM again.

Poking around I've noticed that each login results in the following line from dmesg...

Code:

$ dmesg | tail
[   19.665305] wlp2s0: RX AssocResp from b2:b2:dc:d1:ed:94 (capab=0xc11 status=0 aid=6)
[   19.665396] wlp2s0: associated
[   19.665414] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp2s0: link becomes ready
[   25.961699] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
[   25.961703] ata1: EH complete
[   25.990657] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: commit=0
[   25.994073] EXT4-fs (sda2): re-mounted. Opts: commit=0
[   28.584306] [drm:intel_dp_start_link_train] *ERROR* too many full retries, give up
[  274.652494] [drm:intel_dp_start_link_train] *ERROR* too many full retries, give up
[  352.179364] [drm:intel_dp_start_link_train] *ERROR* too many full retries, give up

I tried re-emerging x11-libs/libdrm and x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel and restarting but no joy.

Strange thing is that as root I can startx and this doesn't happen, so I thought there might be something about my Xfce4 configuration that was causing this tried a fresh configuration (by moving ~/.config/xfce4 to ~/.config/.xfce4) and then trying to startx as user but the same problem is reported.

I found this thread on Arch Linux Forums which is quite relevant since this is on a Asus Zenbook UX21e but there is no apparent solution, and I've been happily running 3.13.* and 3.14.* kernels for sometime (I upgrade whenever they become available) but this happens with both =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.15.0 and =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.15.0-r1

Any pointers or ideas as to whats going on would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

slack

Last edited by slackline on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 [   28.584306] [drm:intel_dp_start_link_train] *ERROR* too many full retries, give up
This error comes from the i915 drm kernel module. So it is probably a kernel problem.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer, I'll have a play around with some older kernels. That it doesn't occur when I 'startx' as root might also suggest that its some sort of conflict with compiz (the window manager I have set to run as user).

UPDATE : Upgraded to =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.15.1 and things are working again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: