Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Flash stopped working after chromium upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
grant123
l33t
l33t


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 980

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Flash stopped working after chromium upgrade Reply with quote

I upgraded from chromium-34.0.1847.137 to chromium-35.0.1916.114-r1 and now flash doesn't work. I tried re-emerging adobe-flash-11.2.202.359 and rebooting but still no luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megabaks
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 253
Location: Russia && Saint-Petersburg

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use pepper-flash. (www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins with "flash" USE)
adobe-flash is NPAPI plugin and google removed support for it.
so, pepper-flash.
_________________
sorry my bad english
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grant123
l33t
l33t


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 980

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, is there an open-source alternative that works well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megabaks
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 253
Location: Russia && Saint-Petersburg

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
Thank you, is there an open-source alternative that works well?
closed
supported by google
works better than adobe-flash
_________________
sorry my bad english
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cwc
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 1080
Location: Tri-Cities, WA USA

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megabaks wrote:
just use pepper-flash. (www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins with "flash" USE)
adobe-flash is NPAPI plugin and google removed support for it.
so, pepper-flash.

Code:

azzerare ~ # emerge -pv chrome-binary-plugins

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "chrome-binary-plugins" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-9999::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org> (04 Mar 2014)
# Dev channel releases are only for people who are developers or want more
# experimental features and accept a more unstable release.

- www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-37.0.2008.2_alpha1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword)
- www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-36.0.1985.18_beta1::gentoo (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-35.0.1916.114_p1::gentoo (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

azzerare ~ #

I'm just going to wait it out. I don't like installing masked packages.
_________________
Without diversity there can be no evolution:)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megabaks
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 253
Location: Russia && Saint-Petersburg

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't like installing masked packages.
ololo )
_________________
sorry my bad english
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chithanh
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 2152
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
Thank you, is there an open-source alternative that works well?
Both open-source implementations of flash plugins, gnash and lightspark, use NPAPI. There is currently no way to use open source flash with chromium, the most promising approach would be a chrome extension based on shumway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Progman3K
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jan 2004
Posts: 662

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed the binary plugins with the opensource version of chrome and it does play most flash content (in a snappier way, btw) but it doesn't play all flash content properly, some flash-based games don't display correctly, or at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 1777
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progman3K wrote:
I've installed the binary plugins with the opensource version of chrome and it does play most flash content (in a snappier way, btw) but it doesn't play all flash content properly, some flash-based games don't display correctly, or at all.


Please file upstream bugs for things not working properly: http://crbug.com/ . Please consider pasting the links here so e.g. I can assign labels to these bugs.

cwc wrote:
I'm just going to wait it out. I don't like installing masked packages.


I don't think we're going to make that package stable. It downloads from URLs that keep changing and we can't mirror the files.
_________________
http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cwc
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 1080
Location: Tri-Cities, WA USA

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phajdan.jr wrote:
Progman3K wrote:
I've installed the binary plugins with the opensource version of chrome and it does play most flash content (in a snappier way, btw) but it doesn't play all flash content properly, some flash-based games don't display correctly, or at all.


Please file upstream bugs for things not working properly: http://crbug.com/ . Please consider pasting the links here so e.g. I can assign labels to these bugs.

cwc wrote:
I'm just going to wait it out. I don't like installing masked packages.


I don't think we're going to make that package stable. It downloads from URLs that keep changing and we can't mirror the files.


solved it with:
azzerare ~ # USE="flash pdf" emerge chrome-binary-plugins
and enabling ~amd64 in make.conf
_________________
Without diversity there can be no evolution:)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epsilon72
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 568

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwc wrote:
....
and enabling ~amd64 in make.conf

If you put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" in your make.conf when it wasn't there before, you are in for a surprise the next time you emerge world!

Just in case you don't know, the proper way to keyword this package would be instead to add
Code:
www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins:stable ~amd64

to
Code:
/etc/portage/package.keywords
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cwc
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 1080
Location: Tri-Cities, WA USA

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
cwc wrote:
....
and enabling ~amd64 in make.conf

If you put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" in your make.conf when it wasn't there before, you are in for a surprise the next time you emerge world!

Just in case you don't know, the proper way to keyword this package would be instead to add
Code:
www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins:stable ~amd64

to
Code:
/etc/portage/package.keywords


I realized that as soon as I did world update. LOL. Seems like I would have learned this from the last time I did it.
Thanks.
_________________
Without diversity there can be no evolution:)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leio
Developer
Developer


Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Posts: 480
Location: Estonia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords :D
_________________
GNOME team lead; GStreamer; MIPS/ARM64
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cwc
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 1080
Location: Tri-Cities, WA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
I'd use /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords :D


I use /etc/portage/package.keywords/package.keywords.txt

What is the difference?
_________________
Without diversity there can be no evolution:)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 14 Oct 2006
Posts: 6193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwc wrote:
Leio wrote:
I'd use /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords :D


I use /etc/portage/package.keywords/package.keywords.txt

What is the difference?


Not much of a one.
.accept_keywords is just more recent name for .keywords and single file vs a dir is quite obvious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum