[SOLVED] Slow GL performance on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vamp898
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Slow GL performance on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi there,

im having trouble right now with Gentoo on Workstations.

I have 2 100% identical machines, same Hardware. They both have nVidia Quattro K4000 GPUs and Intel Xeon CPU

Now the problem.

When i install Gentoo, just as normal with Xorg and KDE and some optimisation (-march=native) and try 3D Applications they run quite well but a bit laggy.

glxinfo | grep direct results that Direct rendering is enabled and used with nVidia Driver. glxinfo with disable vblanc shows about 7728 FPS.

Now the same Machine installed with blank Archlinux and glxgears shows ~11500 FPS and everything is blazing fast. Much much faster than on Gentoo.

The Workstations run high-performance FE-Software like Medina and Hyperworks and with large projects, especially medina, is getting unusable slow while on Archlinux it runs just perfectly fast.

I tried about everything i could imagine like compiling without optmisation use different DEs play around with eselect and xorg.conf and so on but it just gets worse.

What does Archlinux different than Gentoo to maintain that incredible speed or on the other hand, what am i doing wrong with Gentoo to not get this speed?

Last edited by Vamp898 on Mon May 19, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Vamp898
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved it.

Archlinux uses a Timer HZ of 300, i used 1000

Runs much much much faster with 300, solved it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: