Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
udisks2: permission problem for mounted ext. devices?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barnoid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: udisks2: permission problem for mounted ext. devices? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've updated my system today, and udisks:2 got pulled in. Now the mountpoint of external devices mounted through thunar appear in /run/media/{username}/{deviceID} (from /media/{deviceID}).

I also have my distfile directory on an external disk. In /etc/portage/make.conf DISTDIR was set to "/media/{deviceID}/gentoo/distfiles", after the upgrade to udisks:2 I modified that line to "/run/media/{username}/{deviceID}/gentoo/distfiles". So far so good.

Now, when I try to downgrade udev (for some other reason) I get the following:
Code:
$ sudo emerge -avF udev

These are the packages that would be fetched, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     UD ] sys-fs/udev-208 [212-r1] USE="acl firmware-loader gudev kmod openrc%* -doc -introspection (-selinux) -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 downgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to fetch the source files for these packages? [Yes/No]

>>> Fetching (1 of 1) sys-fs/udev-208
bash: /run/media/bernhard/3c51311c-a6ce-43d6-a598-0e12eec1d81f/gentoo/distfiles/.__portage_test_write__: Permission denied
rm: cannot remove ‘/run/media/bernhard/3c51311c-a6ce-43d6-a598-0e12eec1d81f/gentoo/distfiles/.__portage_test_write__’: Permission denied
 * systemd-208-r1.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                            [ ok ]
 * udev-208-patches-1.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                        [ ok ]
$

Apparently, portage cannot write to the new location, but let's leave that aside for the moment. Now when I execute
Code:
sudo emerge -av udev

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     UD ] sys-fs/udev-208 [212-r1] USE="acl firmware-loader gudev kmod openrc%* -doc -introspection (-selinux) -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 downgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-fs/udev-208
 * systemd-208-r1.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                            [ ok ]
 * udev-208-patches-1.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                        [ ok ]
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found kernel object directory:
 *     /lib/modules/3.13.7-gentoo/build
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     3.13.7-gentoo
 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...                                                                                                                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking systemd-208-r1.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-208/work
 * ERROR: sys-fs/udev-208::gentoo failed (unpack phase):
 *   systemd-208-r1.tar.xz does not exist
 * Call stack:
 *          ebuild.sh, line   93:  Called src_unpack
 *        environment, line 4136:  Called __eapi0_src_unpack
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  648:  Called unpack 'systemd-208-r1.tar.xz' 'udev-208-patches-1.tar.xz'
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  288:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *         [[ ! -s ${srcdir}${x} ]] && die "${x} does not exist"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-fs/udev-208::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-fs/udev-208::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-208/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-208/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-208/work'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-208/work/systemd-208'

>>> Failed to emerge sys-fs/udev-208, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-208/temp/build.log'

I noticed that the permissions on /run/media are somewhat special:
Code:
ls -la /run/media
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  60 May 20 17:41 .
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root 580 May 20 17:42 ..
drwxr-x---+  3 root root  60 May 20 17:41 {userID}

Questions:
1. why can portage access the distfile directory and check the files when running emerge -F but not when trying to actually emerge the package?
2. if this is a permission problem on /run/media/{userID} how do I modify them?

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: