Gentoo on the Asus Transformer Pad TF701T
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinominant
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Gentoo on the Asus Transformer Pad TF701T Reply with quote

I've purchased an Asus Transformer Pad TF701T and I want to install Gentoo on it instead of android. I have installed Gentoo on my raspberry pi which was relatively easy and I'll probably use my ARM stage4 install to speed up the install, but my biggest concern is the boot process.

How do Android tablets/phones typically boot? I need to somehow tell the bootloader or the BIOS (or SoC) to boot my kernel instead of the android kernel. And I would like to do it such that I can re-flash the original android OS. I don't want to brick my brand new computer ;)

It's not a big deal for me to compile the kernel without an initrd and to build in the kernel command line options that tells it to use the correct root filesystem on the external SD card. I also am fine with rooting the device to get this done. But I need some help modifying the boot loader to load my kernel. nVidia has the Linux For Tegra project on their site, so I'm sure building a working kernel with hardware support will be possible.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could use the experience from the previous Asus Transformer? http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Asus_Transformer_Prime
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: