Mail on LAN?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owemeacent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Mail on LAN? Reply with quote

I'm trying to setup a local mail server for my schools computer lab so I can send all the users on all the different computers. The problem is I'm not sure how it works. I don't want to do a bunch on domain name things and all that stuff I'm just going to use hostnames. Like "ServAdmin" and stuff like that. I know that it "should work" because I ping the computer just by their host names on LAN. I know how to use postfix on my local computer. Like "mail root" or stuff like that. I know that when I type in
Code:
mail user@hostname
the email should be sent to the computer, except that isn't the case. Apparently I need to do some extra steps. Of which I don't know. May you please direct me to the proper steps so I could be able to send users on local machines mail? Any help is greatly appreciated
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you admin all of those computers, I think you'll find it best to use one centralized mail server and not keep mail accounts on individual machines. While you can setup smtp on every machine, it's best to just run a mail server on a single machine and have all other machines use POP or IMAP or something to check mail on the centralized machine (or if you're really lazy, force them to login to the centralized machine). This way people won't have to worry about mail being on a specific machine.

Otherwise I thought that with the default sendmail setup, postfix may be similar, should just work. However I do know that sendmail depends a lot on DNS being set correctly to help reduce mail forgery risks. You don't have to have external IP addresses but the DNS server needs to know all machines. I don't know if postfix has the same security or not but I assume it does.

I do recall misconfiguring sendmail once assuming that DNS was not necessary, and generated an unintentional mail loop that took down a network... ha.
owemeacent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that's what I meant, to only have one server that would send to a bunch of computers without them being able to send back
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's opposite to what you ment. eccerr0r suggests you keeping mails at a single machine. Actualy you don't even have to "send" that mail in this case, just move it between local accounts on a single server and have users login there to send or receive messages just like they would do with any mail service provided by third party.You are just less likely to encountere spam problems as long as you keep it local (like in local to your LAN)
SMTP and POP or IMAP would allow users to cave mail client application do the sending and checking for them in transparent manner (once configured with account details ofcourse)
owemeacent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask how can you do that?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: