Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Advantages and Disadvantages for Gentoo on a Mac?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Advantages and Disadvantages for Gentoo on a Mac? Reply with quote

My girlfriend recently bought a new Macbook, which means I inherit her old Macbook for playtime. :-D

So what are some advantages and/or disadvantages to running Gentoo on a (semi-)modern Macbook (it's about 3-4 years old)?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Advantage: Distressing the hipster community :-) Reply with quote

I have one of the older core duo based macbooks on my bonepile. I had bought it because I thought I was going to need to do some work with getting auditing and hardening set up on Snow Leopard. That work didn't pan out so I set it up to dual boot. I didn't specifically try to stay with gentoo on it because I was also needing to use Fedora 14 for something else. So it went around with Snow Leopard/Fed14 on it.

The keyboard can be a bit of an annoyance at times because of the apple layout when you are used to a standard setup with the windows keys. Also the fingerpad required some research to figure out what I could get away with when trying to use it for X. I ended up carrying around a trackball to plug into it when I was doing serious copy-pasta with the middle button.

Not all of the sensors were documented on it, and I'm sure it's still the case that things will be a crapshoot trying to get under the hood type info about this stuff. Power management and suspend/resume/hibernate will probably be a crapshoot.

The look you will get from some hipster when you set up shop, plug in your trackball and then proceed to do a non-graphic boot via refit or whatever can be priceless :-)
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm looking for: pain points, benefits, cool features, annoyances, etc.

I'm not yet convinced that I want to put gentoo on that laptop. But, I'm familiar enough with gentoo and Mac, that I think it would be an interesting challenge. I also know that Intel based Macbooks are (for the most part) just like any other Intel-based laptop. So I'm just trying to fete out any major issues, before jumping ship.

Thanks for the response.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: