PANIC - Undeleting file from EXT4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: PANIC - Undeleting file from EXT4 Reply with quote

So yeah... I spend a few days trying to record something... it took me several attempts to get it right and then when I use mencoder to downsample and compress it, *pooof* things crash, original video disappears and a small part of the downsampled video is still there to tell the story.

Trying to put the rage aside, I am trying to undelete the file. I booted from SystemRescueCD, the filesystem containing it isunmounted. I know the path (of course) but the file was replaced many, many times; every attempt I restarted recording it again with the same name, overriding the file. The file is very large, a little more than 30GB. extundelete is being unable to find the file:

Code:
root@sysresccd /root % extundelete --restore-file /home/holysword/SpiderOak\ Hive/itf.mkv /dev/sda3
NOTICE: Extended attributes are not restored.
Loading filesystem metadata ... 2400 groups loaded.
Loading journal descriptors ... 30875 descriptors loaded.
Unable to restore inode 7745731 (home/holysword/SpiderOak Hive/itf.mkv): No data found.
Unable to restore file /home/holysword/SpiderOak Hive/itf.mkv
extundelete: Operation not permitted while restoring file.
extundelete: Operation not permitted when trying to examine filesystem
root@sysresccd /root %

This is the path from the root of the partition; should I mount it? Am I using this correctly?

I am running also photorec software, but I am a bit afraid that I will run out of disk space, since it copies the files from /dev/sda3 to another partition. Please, suggestions? I need this REALLY SOON or I will be doomed! Tomorrow I will NEED TO mount this partition and use it normally!
windex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I'd use a tool called foremost for something like this, although it's conceivable that foremost may not have a signature for this sort of file.

What file type (extension?) was the deleted file? In theory you could develop a signature if you really had to.

Foremost is actually pretty good.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windex wrote:
Usually I'd use a tool called foremost for something like this, although it's conceivable that foremost may not have a signature for this sort of file.

What file type (extension?) was the deleted file? In theory you could develop a signature if you really had to.

Foremost is actually pretty good.

Thank you for your suggestion, but it was really too late! I needed the answer really quick and then the file was lost forever. I will keep in mind your suggestion for next time though.
The file was .mkv
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: