[solved] Help! I somehow screwed up $PATH for root [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: [solved] Help! I somehow screwed up $PATH for root [solved] Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the correct forum, so mods please feel free to move if required.

I need some help pretty badly. I have been trying to build Cyanogenmod and Evervolv (Android aftermarket ROMs) for my handset. I was having difficulty getting sudo to recognize the extra entries I had made to my $PATH statement to get the android-sdk working and git to initialize git in the new partition I created for Android development.

My user needed escalated privileges since I had created the required directories in /opt due to lack of space in my user's home directory. I had also placed some needed binaries in /usr/local/bin, example repo command. The problem was sudo (my preferred method of doing most work requiring escalated privileges) was only recognizing a small stripped subset of my user's $PATH. I tried a few things I read on other forums and succeeded in getting sudo to recognize the additional entries to $PATH, but I somehow screwed up something and now su no longer recognizing the entire $PATH and is behaving like sudo had been doing previously.

I've been trying for the last several hours to backtrack and see what I did to mess things up, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Here is what I'm talking about:
Code:
As my regular user:
~ $ echo "$PATH"
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.2:/opt/android-sdk-update-manager/tools:/opt/android-sdk-update-manager/platform-tools:/usr/games/bin

Evoking sudo:
~ $ sudo echo "$PATH"
Password:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.2:/opt/android-sdk-update-manager/tools:/opt/android-sdk-update-manager/platform-tools:/usr/games/bin

As su:
# echo "$PATH"
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

As you can see su is now stripped of all but the minimum entries to $PATH and is behaving as sudo had been previously. I'm at a loss on how to proceed. I've been using this Gentoo installation since 2004. It's survived several hardware upgrades and a conversion from x86 to ~amd64 (and the corresponding change of CHOST to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu).

I'm rather proud that a self-taught truck driver like myself, with no formal computer training, has been able to maintain this for so long without ever needing to start over from scratch. So I would prefer to figure out a way to correct my error and salvage the situation than having to start all over again. Any help would extremely appreciated. TIA

Last edited by Odysseus on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
su -
echo "$PATH"

Does it look different?
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Code:
su -
echo "$PATH"

Does it look different?

Yes it does. When I evoke su as you suggest it looks like this:
Code:
 ~ # echo "$PATH"
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.2:/opt/android-sdk-update-manager/tools:/opt/android-sdk-update-manager/platform-tools

This is how the $PATH used to look for su.

The question is, what do I need to do to revert su to its prior state so it behaves like this without adding '-'?
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumb

It's been a week, I'm still having this issue. Anyone have any ideas for a solution? TIA
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security on su has been tightened up for a while; providing a minimal path is now the default, whereas the --login (short form -l or a lone - as the last argument) option is now required to get a full path. Alas, you're going to have to live with the extra dash. ;)

- John
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Odysseus, et al ...

hasn't it *always* been this way, I've always considered '--login', '-l', or '-', to be necessary for a login shell, I don't think I can every remember a time when this wasn't the case (though I almost always use '-' as I almost certainly want that the environment is correct for the UID). Take this post from the zsh-users mailing list circa 1997, a similar request, and the same behavior with 'su' sans '-l' ... and looking at the Changelog for sys-apps/shadow besides the sanitize_env() from 2010 I see nothing suggesting a recent change (though, that patch was removed in January, so prehaps upstream gave it some love recently).

Osysseus wrote:
The problem was sudo (my preferred method of doing most work requiring escalated privileges) was only recognizing a small stripped subset of my user's $PATH.

It won't help if you're using bash, but the following method can be used with zsh ...

~/.zprofile
Code:
if [[ $EUID != 0 ]] && (($+commands[sudo])) ; then
    typeset -xT SUDO_PATH sudo_path
    typeset -U sudo_path
    sudo_path=({,/usr/local,/usr}/sbin(N-/))
fi

~/.zshrc
Code:
zstyle ':completion:*:sudo:*' environ PATH="$SUDO_PATH:$PATH"

... now the commands are in path when using sudo .... and have completion.

Code:
% rc<tab>
---- external command
---- alias
rc-config rc-status rcp^C
% sudo rc<tab>
---- external command
rc rc-config rc-service rc-status rc-update

best ... khay
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, no. Some small number of years ago on Gentoo (perhaps 2-3), a lone "su" would give you a full path. I'm fairly monotheistic where Linux distributions are concerned, so I have no idea how other distributions behaved. But, since Gentoo follows upstream very closely, I would suspect this was an upstream change.

- John
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK "su" maintains the user's path, whereas "su -" moves to root's path,
essentially a root login. It's been like that for at least five years. The default
paths are set in /etc/profile, and my (edited) version is:
Code:

#
# Yes, I know a leading ".:" is a bad idea.
#
if [ "$EUID" = "0" ] || [ "$USER" = "root" ] ; then
   PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/
bin":${PATH}
else
   PATH=".:/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:${PATH}"
fi
export PATH

See also "man su".

Will
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that su presented by itself doesn't source /etc/profile. It doesn't set up a "user's path" but an intentionally minimal path.

- John
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Except that su presented by itself doesn't source /etc/profile. It doesn't set up a "user's path" but an intentionally minimal path.

- John

Hmm, no, nor it does, I must have remembered that from an unconfigured system which had a minimal root path.

Thanks - Will
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your input. Unfortunately, it seems that although the behavior I've been experiencing isn't normal no one had any ideas as to a solution. So I got desperate and did a total rebuild of my system over the course of the last few days. When complete, I evoked su from koqueror and did 'env-update && source /etc/profile' then rebooted. When I got back into my KDE environment, low and behold... my su problem had been resolved and is now functioning as expected.

I still have no idea how it got messed up, nor do I have any idea how exactly it resolved itself, but in any event it's now resolved. So I'm marking this thread as solved. Thanks again to all of you who responded.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: