Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Default font does not have a positive size (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Default font does not have a positive size (solved) Reply with quote

Quote:
Gtk-WARNING **: Default font does not have a positive size

gtk-theme-switch seems to have no effect on these errors although other desktop elements can be changed. I'm hesitating to downgrade from x11-libs/gtk+-3.10.7 , if I mask it portage selects 2.24.22 which I can't see working out very well either.

Indeed, the default font size is small enough to be non-existent in some applications. gtk2 applications are broken in strange ways like a proportional font with mono spacing. some applications are working just fine.

While this last upgrade that led to this breakage was fairly epic in scope, I have two other systems fairing well with systemd and gnome 3.10

What is the correct way to inform gtk applications about the properties of the Default font anyways?

Last edited by b0nafide on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some further gnashing of teeth, experimenting with different login and session managers I'm still back to square one with negative or zero-sized fonts and other oddities like some menus not working regardless of theme. I'm going to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into now by rolling back to gtk+-3.6.3-r3

Edit: Nope. That didn't change anything. Back to the latest version of gtk so my dev box is in sync with the broken one :P I can't help but think I'm overlooking something simple. Systemd units are good. Nothing interesting in the logs except for complaints about bad sizes for gtk fonts and objects.

Edit2: Is there a resource somewhere for what files gtk expects to exist? I think this could be related to tmpfs in some places.
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured strace,

Code:
# for missing in `strace lxterminal 2>&1 | sed -n '/^open/p' | sed 's/^.*\"\//\//;s/\".*$//' | sort | uniq`; do if ! [ -e $missing ];then echo $missing >> missing.files; fi; done

missing.files wrote:
/usr/share/locale/en.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20-properties.mo
/usr/share/locale/en.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo
/usr/share/locale/en.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo
/usr/share/locale/en.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo
/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20-properties.mo
/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo
/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo
/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo
/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20-properties.mo
/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo
/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo
/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20-properties.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF8/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20-properties.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20-properties.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/gtk20.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo

I'm pretty sure the locale is okay though. locale.conf and local-gen seem happy. Still scratching my head.

Edit: no, the existence or non-existence of these files has nothing to do with this. Somehow, my configuration is just a little too minimal to represent fonts correctly, in spite of following informative guides about fontconfig.

localectl is okay too. the shift into systemd is part of the learning curve here I am certain. as far as I can tell there are not any font-specific units though.
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the crazy thing and rolled back to openrc. Same problems. I'm taking it as an opportunity to start fresh, sad to have to do it but oh well, things are working elsewhere with the latest packages. I'm returning to the handbook on this one. Solved, in the sense that it is almost certainly an oddity effecting only one system.
b0nafide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success? Although reinstalling 'solved' this problem, I really like being able to roll along without the hassle of a re-install. All that being said, it's possible that I missed an elog or was distracted somewhere along the way, leading to a kind of nightmarish hell delving into the mechanisms stacked on each other to represent Monospace 10

I'm glad things are working now though, probably some silly mistake along the way or errant neutrino

Just to be clear, I had tried to re-emerge everything I could think of regarding fonts, fontconfig, made sure eselect choices were sane ones as outlined by better articles elsewhere, reemerged and checked dbus, ibus, dconf, gconf, different versions of gtk+ 2 and 3, gtkrc files for 2 and 3 as well as lengthy and educational tangents into systemd localectl and gsettings. Unfortunately, nothing made a difference and gtk2 applications in particular stubbornly refused to default font it up as per usual.

It could have been a bad file transfer or something nfs related during it's lifecycle, which had included a lot of gtk2 and some gtk-theme-switch'ing before being upgraded.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: