kernel panic during boot [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zvonimir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: kernel panic during boot [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm having a problem during boot. Unfortunately, I can't find any log files containing output during boot, so I'll just write several (probably most important) lines:

Code:

Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!
Shutting down cpus with NMI
drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text console

After that, everything stops. I then press the power button and hold it for couple of seconds to shut down my computer. In 90% of the cases, this happens again when I try to boot, and I again shut down the computer. The third attempt is successful.

This started occurring after a kernel upgrade (a couple of months ago). Then I upgraded my kernel again after some time in hope the problem will disappear. At first, it seemed like it did, but then it started to appear again. Therefore, I decided that it's time to ask for some help since I don't really know how to attack this problem.

The kernel version I'm currently using is 3.10.17.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Zvonimir on Sat May 03, 2014 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id try kernel 3.12.17 or 3.13.10
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Zvonimir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
id try kernel 3.12.17 or 3.13.10

Thank you for the advice.

I upgraded to kernel version 3.12.13 (which was the newest version I could find in portage) and since then I didn't have the problem mentioned above.

But during the kernel upgrade I also noticed that my /boot folder was almost full, and then I cleaned it from old kernels etc.

I am pretty sure that it was the almost full /boot folder that was causing the problem, not so much the old kernel version.

Anyway, now it seems to be ok.

P.S. Sorry for the delay in answering. I wanted to wait a bit and see whether the problem will appear again or not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: