Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]login manager of MATE Desktop: use gdm2? or other?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kenmux
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]login manager of MATE Desktop: use gdm2? or other? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

i installed and entered the desktop manually, following this wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MATE
but, i just want to start MATE on boot, not use startx manually! so, the quetion is:
should i use gdm2 as login manager? how about gdm3?
could anyone give a clear answer???
or, was there any plan about fork gdm2 as mate login manager???

it may be difficult for me to merge gdm2, for i do not know how to block gdm3 completely...
i tried yet, of course it broke, and the emerge broken message is as follows:

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies 
 * IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

.... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/File-BaseDir-0.30.0  USE="{-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/File-DesktopEntry-0.40.0  USE="{-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libart_lgpl-2.3.21-r1
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/sessreg-1.0.8
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xprop-1.2.2
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xset-1.2.3
[ebuild  N     ] www-client/links-2.8-r1  USE="X bzip2 ipv6 ssl unicode zlib -directfb -fbcon -gpm -jpeg -livecd -lzma (-suid) (-svga) -tiff"
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/logger-0
[ebuild  N     ] mail-mta/nullmailer-1.13-r4  USE="ssl"
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/mta-1
[ebuild  N     ] app-admin/sudo-1.8.6_p7  USE="nls pam sendmail -ldap -offensive (-selinux) -skey"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/File-MimeInfo-0.170.0  USE="{-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.30.3  USE="-doc -glade {-test}"
[ebuild  NS    ] app-text/docbook-xml-dtd-4.2-r2 [4.1.2-r6, 4.3-r1, 4.4-r2]
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/xmlto-0.0.25  USE="-latex"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-misc/xdg-utils-1.1.0_rc2  USE="perl -doc"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libgksu-2.0.12-r1  USE="nls -doc -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/gksu-2.0.2-r1  USE="-doc -gnome"
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-base/gdm-2.20.11-r1  USE="consolekit ipv6 pam tcpd -accessibility -afs -branding -dmx -gnome-keyring -remote (-selinux) -xinerama"
[blocks B      ] <gnome-base/gdm-3.8 ("<gnome-base/gdm-3.8" is blocking gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.10.1)


i tried to block gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.10.1, but it complained that net-libs/glib-networking-2.38.2 need it...


Last edited by kenmux on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both GDM2 and/or GDM3 and/or other display managers like LightDM (recommended display manager on Arch) will work; for MATE there is an unofficial mate-display-manager developed by the Mint team, but given it is unofficial it is not part of the Portage tree or MATE overlay yet. Someone would have to bring it there; and due to being unofficial, give it a different name like mint-mate-display-manager or even a simple mint-mdm.

To resolve the block, you'll need to see which reverse dependency brings in the 3.10.1 version of gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas; you can do that by first doing `emerge app-portage/gentoolkit` if you don't have that yet, then do `equery d gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas` which will give you a list of what depends on it. I see at the end of the post that you already did this; you'll want to repeat this step for the packages listed as reverse dependencies. Could it be that you have GNOME 3 in your world file? (/var/lib/portage/world)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenmux
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
Yes, both GDM2 and/or GDM3 and/or other display managers like LightDM (recommended display manager on Arch) will work; for MATE there is an unofficial mate-display-manager developed by the Mint team, but given it is unofficial it is not part of the Portage tree or MATE overlay yet. Someone would have to bring it there; and due to being unofficial, give it a different name like mint-mate-display-manager or even a simple mint-mdm.

To resolve the block, you'll need to see which reverse dependency brings in the 3.10.1 version of gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas; you can do that by first doing `emerge app-portage/gentoolkit` if you don't have that yet, then do `equery d gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas` which will give you a list of what depends on it. I see at the end of the post that you already did this; you'll want to repeat this step for the packages listed as reverse dependencies. Could it be that you have GNOME 3 in your world file? (/var/lib/portage/world)


thanks for your replay! i learned a lot!
what you mentioned, the file /var/lib/portage/world???
i checked it and got its content:

app-admin/syslog-ng
app-editors/vim
app-vim/info
dev-util/gtk-doc
mate-base/mate
net-misc/dhcpcd
net-misc/netifrc
sys-apps/hwinfo
sys-apps/pciutils
sys-apps/usbutils
sys-boot/grub
sys-kernel/genkernel
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
sys-process/cronie
x11-base/xorg-server
x11-terms/xterm
x11-wm/twm

as you see, this system i used now was quite new! i just installed it following the wiki of gentoo, xorg, and mate.
i had no idea of whether there were gnome3 packages or not, for i did not know the full dependency of mate.
so, just as you suggested, first emerge app-portage/gentoolkit, then use equery d gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas.
thanks a lot! i will try that. or, should i try a different login manager??? aha?


Last edited by kenmux on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh; if you did a reinstall, the blocker might be gone now? But yes, it is worth trying lightDM: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lightdm

I think you'll need to set user-session=mate in its configuration.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenmux
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
Eh; if you did a reinstall, the blocker might be gone now? But yes, it is worth trying lightDM: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lightdm

I think you'll need to set user-session=mate in its configuration.



Hmm...now i can enter MATE on boot, using lightDM, it's great!
cross-desktop display manager, sees quite a great idea!


i did this step by step, following the wiki, all was ok!

a) emerge x11-misc/lightdm

b) the content of file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:
Code:
xserver-allow-tcp=false
user-session=mate
session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Sessions/MATE
exit-on-failure=false


c) the content of file /etc/conf.d/xdm:
Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm"


d) rc-update add dbus default

e) rc-update add xdm default

f) the content of file /etc/env.d/90xsession:
Code:
XSESSION="Mate"


g) the content of file ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
exec mate-session


the last 2 steps, just config for using startx manually.
but, there's another problem:
the login manager on boot and logout, seems different from the login manager lock screen,
and if i select switch user after click "logout..." on main menu, nothing display...
i just cannot find where can i set this? any ideas? suggestions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to put ck-launch-session and/or dbus-launch between exec and mate-session in ~/.xinitrc for those processes to be able to communicate with each other, which then might make MATE see more and work better than it already does; although I think the lock screen is always different from the display manager. For example; in GNOME 3, the lock screen is from GNOME shell whereas the login screen is from GDM.

When you logout, is that when launched with the display manager or with startx?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess Nell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 593

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdm3 will require systemd, so that was a big no-no for me.

Originally I switched to mate using gdm2, but the latest gnome3 updates made it very hard to keep that setup, and gdm2 is also on the verge of being removed. Switched to lightdm and never looked back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenmux
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
You might need to put ck-launch-session and/or dbus-launch between exec and mate-session in ~/.xinitrc for those processes to be able to communicate with each other, which then might make MATE see more and work better than it already does; although I think the lock screen is always different from the display manager. For example; in GNOME 3, the lock screen is from GNOME shell whereas the login screen is from GDM.

When you logout, is that when launched with the display manager or with startx?



Hmm...i used the BlackMATE theme, so the UI and lock screen looked quite cool,
but on boot, or log out, the login screen looked so plain...

in my opinion, the login, logout and lock screen are all managed by ligthDM.
maybe, just as you written, the login screen was just ligthDM, the lock screen was MATE.
but, there may be some problem in switching between them (or exactly, i did no config about it).


Last edited by kenmux on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenmux
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Nell wrote:
gdm3 will require systemd, so that was a big no-no for me.

Originally I switched to mate using gdm2, but the latest gnome3 updates made it very hard to keep that setup, and gdm2 is also on the verge of being removed. Switched to lightdm and never looked back.


yes, emerge gdm2 is so tedious (or difficult, just for me:() that i cannot bear it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nihil39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 86
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all with Slim and mate (or xfce, or fluxbox).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
optimumpro
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Jun 2014
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenmux wrote:
Princess Nell wrote:
gdm3 will require systemd, so that was a big no-no for me.

Originally I switched to mate using gdm2, but the latest gnome3 updates made it very hard to keep that setup, and gdm2 is also on the verge of being removed. Switched to lightdm and never looked back.


yes, emerge gdm2 is so tedious (or difficult, just for me:() that i cannot bear it!


With the updated Gento Wiki, it is not tedious anymore. Just mask GDM3 like this:

root # echo ">=gnome-base/gdm-3.0.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum