View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Multiple desktop environments Reply with quote

Hi,

I already have a computer working well with KDE/openRC -
(In other computer I have gnome3/sysetmd that still have problems with Gnome's menu icons disappearing).
Now I want to install another DE so I will get Multi DEs -
First - Due to openRC - Is it possible to add DE's systemd, like Gnome3? Can two different init systems live together? -
If yes - please recommend me on systemd/DE other than Gnome3.

Anyway, assuming continue using openRC - Please recommend me on DE that will be added to KDE.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you can use systemd and openrc in parallel, but I think you can't.
I do think, however, that you could run KDE with systemd, if you ditch openrc.

Other DEs that you could use that don't requite systemd - pretty much anything but Gnome3:
MATE (Gnome2 fork), Enlightenment (very nice), Cinnamon (although 1.8 from portage does still require systemd afaik, so you'd have to use an overlay - if there is any that has cinnamon >=2.0), LXDE (very fast with a low memory footprint), XFCE (similar to Gnome2).

Once you have installed one or more DEs, your login manager should give you the option to choose which one to use for either the next session or as new default.
Now it's time for the harvest
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
I'm not sure if you can use systemd and openrc in parallel, but I think you can't.

Depens on what you call "use in parallel": You can have them both installed and configured, but at boot time you must decide what to use: Just pass the corresponding init=... argument (e.g. in grub or lilo) to the kernel.
When configuring, you should be aware that it is not a problem to configure openrc when you have booted with systemd, but the converse is not possible: One of the many bad ideas in systemd is that you can use its configuration utilities only if you have already managed to boot succesfully with systemd.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad Hi,

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can use systemd and openrc in parallel

As I thought - These are two different booting's system...

In case of openRC:
I want to add Enlightenment DE - When I run 'eix Enlightenment', last line is:
'Description: Enlightenment Window Manager (e16)' - Is it ok or I need e17?

Cinnamon - I do not know how to emerge 'not systemd' package? Do not have experience with overlay.

Mv Hi,

Quote:
but at boot time you must decide what to use: Just pass the corresponding init=... argument (e.g. in grub or lilo) to the kernel.

Yes - This is a good way to overcome this issue, however, as you said,
it requires the change of Grub's command line each time, and not just choosing from login manager - but still a real option.

Thanks you all
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably won't want e16, since it's successor e17 has been released a while ago. → emerge enlightenment:0.17
Here's a guide on how to install it - dunno if it is up to date http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Enlightenment. There is a whole dedicated thread here somewhere. Or you could pm ppurka, who seems to be an expert on enlightenment.

For cinnamon > 1.8 and thus (I think) independent of sysd you probably need the sabayon overlay (this'll get you started: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay).
Now it's time for the harvest
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run fvwm-crystal, and if Xephyr is installed, you can run another wm/desktop from the main fvwm-crystal menu.

It will launch in fullscreen in the current desktop page, and you can use Alt+Fn as usual or also KP_Multiply and KP_0 to navigate between the 2 desktops.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: