View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Allow users to reboot/shutdown Reply with quote

How can I allow users to reboot and shutdown the system? I use xfce4 and the reboot and shutdown buttons are grayed out. I use lightdm and nothing happens when I click the button in the upper-right hand corner which should bring up a reboot/shutdown menu.
luna80
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1401
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luna80 wrote:
you can find here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1401

That's actually off-topic.

That 'xfce' bit translates most likely to 'upower', which means either consolekit of systemd.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has always "just worked" for me in the past. Any idea what needs to be straightened out?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...'always' worked...LOL

Anyway, as I said, first check if sys-apps/accountsservice is built for systemd or not.
If not, the first check is always ck-list-sessions (and obviously if sys-auth/consolekit[acl]).
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

consolekit does have USE=acl.

accountsservice does not have USE=systemd. Should I change that?

I get no output from ck-list-sessions.

EDIT: You nailed it. Your clues lead me to re-emerge dbus which fixed it. I had lost the messagebus group somehow. Thank you!
SDNick484
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having similar issues in Xfce with not just reboot, but everything except Log Out being greyed out. I believe it's consolekit related, but I'm not quite sure what I've missed. I have rebuilt & restarted, and I have the messagebus group so it's not the exact issue of the original poster. I posted details in this thread however I've been re-directed here so I'm reposting below:

<<<<<

An update has somehow broken my consolekit settings so that now I can't execute suspend or shutdown from Xfce as a non-privileged user anymore. I know this is a consolekit issue however I'm not sure how to correct it. It was working previously, and a major pain to get it right in the first place. I have tried re-following the steps in this thread however it doesn't seem to help.

So far I have the following:
[ebuild R ] sys-auth/pambase-20140313 USE="cracklib sha512 (-consolekit) -debug -gnome-keyring -minimal -mktemp -pam_krb5 -pam_ssh -passwdqc (-selinux) -systemd" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/glib-2.38.2-r1:2 USE="-debug (-fam) (-selinux) -static-libs -systemtap {-test} -utils -xattr" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5.1-r1 USE="acl cracklib nls pam -audit (-selinux) -skey -xattr" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.102 USE="-debug -doc -static-libs {-test}" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-fs/udisks-2.1.3:2 USE="gptfdisk introspection -cryptsetup -debug (-selinux) -systemd" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.105-r1 304 kB
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.18.3 USE="archive avahi bluetooth cdda fuse gdu gnome-online-accounts gphoto2 gtk http libsecret udev udisks -afp -bluray -ios -mtp -samba -systemd {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-power/upower-0.9.23-r2 USE="introspection -doc -ios -systemd" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6 USE="acl pam policykit -debug -doc (-selinux) -systemd-units {-test}" 0 kB

I am running ~amd64 and have absolutely no interest in running systemd unless I absolutely have to.

My ~/.xinitrc looks like: exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

When I do a ck-list-sessions, I see only one session and [/url]both active & is-local are listed as FALSE (I recall they need to be TRUE, I just don't know what I need to do to fix them.

This is a single user laptop so I'm open to insecure polkit entries if that's an easier way to fix this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>>>
fenrirjk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I ran into the same problem and it took me a lot of time to fix it.
I tried many things, but I think that what worked for me is ... updating the config scripts.

maybe you should try

Code:
etc-update
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: