Configuring Remmina [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Configuring Remmina [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I can get a remote GUI login from Windows XP to all my Gentoo boxes with Xming. I can get a remote GUI login from all the Gentoo boxes to Windows with rdesktop but I can't get a remote GUI login from Gentoo to Gentoo. I tried the Mate/Gnome built-in, vingre, but it just flashes and dies. I installed xrdp on all the Gentoo boxes and strted the daemon, but redesktop can't connect. Finally, after reading a comparative review I settled on Remina. It wouldn;t connect either. After googling some more, I re-emerged xorg-server with the kdrive use flag.

Currently, if I try to connect Remmina to another Linux box selecting RDP, I get "Protocol plug-in RDP is not installed". With VNC the error is "Unable to connect to VNC server". With NX the error is "Protocol plug-in NX is not installed". With SSH the error is "Protocol plug-in SSH is not installed". Terminal mode ssh and putty work fine.

Would a Remina user please tell me how to get two Gentoo boxes to connect? It's rather maddening that it's easy for Linux to log into Windows and for Windows to log into Linux, but Linux can't log into Linux!

Last edited by Tony0945 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
SDNick484
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of or used Remina, but there's tons of ways to remotely do GUI administration between two systems running X.

If you want to do it via VNC (which personally I don't recommend), then just make sure a VNC server is running on the remote host. It can be enabled by default in some desktop environments, otherwise you can SSH in and launch one (I like x11vnc). Keep in mind this will control the actual display being seen on that system (i.e. it mirrors the existing X session over VNC). Even though I don't care for VNC, it does have the benefit of not killing your running app if your connection drops.

The more traditional way of doing remote GUI work via X is through either port forwarding over SSH or to simply allow TCP connections to your X server (not secure, but generally not a problem on home networks). It's actually really simple and should behave just like Xming on your Windows machine. Make sure X11Forwarding is enabled in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and I suggest SSH'ing over to the remote machine with the -Y option (you can use -X, but I have more luck with -Y) then launch your favorite X app. Keep in mind that this will launch an Xclient on the remote machine locally on your machine (it's not mirroring the whole desktop like VNC).

When I'm at home, I don't bother with securing my remote X sessions (which are rare anyway, I do most things over CLI). When I do need to use a remote GUI, I typically just allow non-secure connections to my X server (i.e. disable -nolisten), disable host checking in xhost. This is the quick and dirty way to do it and should only be done on trusted networks.

If you're doing remote administration over a slow (i.e. 3G) network, then I'd strongly suggest checking out NX. Performance is way better, and it can be used for a VNC experience (where sessions don't die if you lose connection).

There's a decent write-up on the different methods here: http://oroborosx.sourceforge.net/remotex.html
Tony0945
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working with vino as the vnc server on the remote host. I had to ssh in and launch vino. One problem is that when I inadvertently closed that terminal that I launched vino from, the whole connection collapsed (of course). It would be better if the server ran as a daemon. I'll check out x11vnc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: