VMware: no 3d acceleration in non-root user [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: VMware: no 3d acceleration in non-root user [Solved] Reply with quote

I use vmware workstation 10. I have been running as root for some time, but switched to a non-root user today. I have been fixing some permissions here and there but for the most part I am running as the non-root user at the moment.

One thing that has come up. If I open vmware workstation as a regular user and open a vm with a need for the 3d support, I get the 'disabling 3d acceleration' pop up and aero on winblows does not function. If I open up a shell, su - over as root and run vmware I get a perfectly working vm with 3d support without complaint.

I have an nvidia graphics card and its the latest driver. 3d effects work fine in KDE, no problems there, just when I open vmware as a regular user.

I probably have to add permission to some group or folder but I am at a loss as to where to look.
Always thirsting.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added regular user wheel group then uncommented %wheel in suoders. Also, set sudoers defaults to keep the X11 environment and HOME.

edited vmware icon to have sudo in front of /usr/bin/vmware.

research indicated vmware needs to run as root for 3d, there is probably a better way but this worked for me.
Always thirsting.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmware needs to be run as root if you want it to use your hybrid card. If I run vmware as a user, it uses the intel HD chip I have -> no 3D acceleration, but this is actually what I want if I am on battery. If I run it as root (using 'primusrun') it uses my nvidia card -> full 3D support.

Basically I followed this guide.

On my desktop, which runs nvidia-only, I get 3D acceleration with any user. No need to be root.

So what is your setting that you require root privileges for 3D?
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in step 8 of the guide you linked to you use sudo to start vmware with root privleges, its the same thing I am doing here. I am running as a regular user as well.
Always thirsting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: