Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo with pure systemd, is it possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yufw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Gentoo with pure systemd, is it possible? Reply with quote

I want to switch to systemd as my default init system due to hearing good things about it. I have read some articles including the one on Gentoo wiki, now I am quite confident to do that switch. Still I have one question, can I remove OpenRC so I can get a pure systemd environment? If not, I wonder why I need it and that how OpenRC and systemd can work together on the same computer.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommand to boot on Systemd first, work on it and when it's good for you than, remove globally in /etc/portage/make.conf the USE flag openrc (USE=" ...-openrc...) and emerge world (emerge -aDNuv @world). That should remove the openrc package.

Both init scripts Systemd and Openrc can be on the same Gentoo installation. It is not mandatory to uninstall one of the two for the other work. You have to keep in mind that the commands of Systemd like systemctl and journalctl may be useless when you boot on Openrc and Openrc commands like rc-update and rc-status may be useless when you boot on Systemd.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yufw,

If you want to remove openrc entirely, you need to use the testing openrc first.

In stable, systemd depends on a single script from openrc
It testing openrc, this script is a separate package.

You probably need testing systemd too, so it depends on the separate package.
I'm not a systemd user though, so things may have moved on.

Try
Code:
equery depends openrc
on your system.
If systemd is listed in the output, your systemd still depends on openrc, so removing it would be a very bad thing.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GNOME/systemd system and I just removed openrc along with netifrc and service-manager. I added the following lines to /etc/portage/profile/packages:
Code:
-*virtual/service-manager
-*sys-apps/openrc

I don't know if I broke something, but after reboot the system seems to work perfectly well. But I only tested for 5 minutes...
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo with pure systemd, is it possible? Reply with quote

yufw wrote:
I want to switch to systemd as my default init system due to hearing good things about it.

Made me curious. The only real thing Google brought up was this http://boycottsystemd.org/
yufw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Try
Code:
equery depends openrc
on your system.
If systemd is listed in the output, your systemd still depends on openrc, so removing it would be a very bad thing.

net-misc/netifrc and virtual/service-manager are depending on openrc. I think I will keep openrc on my computer for stability's sake.
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo with pure systemd, is it possible? Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
yufw wrote:
I want to switch to systemd as my default init system due to hearing good things about it.

Made me curious. The only real thing Google brought up was this http://boycottsystemd.org/

I haven't heard anything good about it either. Besides a slightly faster boot time I haven't realized any benefit since my Arch box migrated.

Each to their own though

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
yufw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo with pure systemd, is it possible? Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
yufw wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that a FreeBSD user would despise systemd. :)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo with pure systemd, is it possible? Reply with quote

yufw wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that a FreeBSD user would despise systemd. :)

yufw ... s/he doesn't like shit flavoured ice cream either ... which, as the purveyors of shit flavoured ice cream would have it, is irrational.

best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Community,

Please don't let this thread decend into another systemd flame fest.
We have several other threads for that very purpose.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. Yes, because systemd does not need OpenRC in order to run; but no, because /etc/init.d/functions.sh is used by some utilities (eg. gcc-config). To resolve this, /lib/gentoo/functions.sh is installed by sys-apps/gentoo-functions; as those utilities migrate from the former path to the latter, this allows to remove OpenRC in the future.

If you wish to remove it already, you can follow one of the package.provided or similar profile related steps to keep it from installing; after which you can symlink the old path to the new patch to keep utilities working, after the utilities are fixed up you can then remove the symlink. The disadvantage of this hack is that you need to remember you have the symlink around; although it doesn't hurt, if you commonly do hacks like this it could set up some garbage here and there. Though it is possible to make a shell script that checks all the files on your system for integrity against the checksums in /var/db/pkg/ which is the packages database.

Keeping OpenRC around shouldn't hurt for now, it's the more sane approach; having both OpenRC and systemd available could even be a good idea, as when you break one you are able to switch to the other to fix it up.
yufw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij,

Thanks for the details and advice.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I also discovered that the gcc-config command failed to work after removal of sys-apps/openrc. I had to run the following command:
Code:
ln -s /lib/gentoo/functions.sh /etc/init.d/functions.sh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: