Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractor Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
eudev has been totally trouble-free for me thus far. I made the switch in December and have had zero udev related issues. I like that. That's all I have to say about it.

Same here :)
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eudev consistently stays OUT of my way, as opposed to udev which was jettisoned from my systems for constantly getting IN my way. Perhaps the best praise I can give eudev is that I don't notice it all... just as it should be.
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Linux amd 3.11.7-hardened-r1 #4 Mon Mar 10 06:44:33 MDT 2014 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
USE="-ppp -bluetooth -ipv6 -policykit -consolekit -kde -gnome -gtk -pulseaudio \
     -X -introspection -systemd -libnotify -udisks -upower -pam -cups \
[IP-] [  ] sys-fs/eudev-1.3:0

Recent system re-build (was 2+ years since last sync, offline). Working fine for me.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using eudev in early beginnings, when udev migrations held some surprises, but then realised it did nothing for me. udev works just fine so far, using it on several desktops, as well as on our server with two NICs (same Intel model) and bonding, and per udev rule I've made sure both NICs always get the same non-ridiculous name. simple and straightforward, trouble-free.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too used eudev (I think it was at the 1.3 version) for a little while on test box and it worked well.

I was however forced to remove it after reading the git log and seeing the amount of code being pulled in from LP and other RH employees (even can be seen to this day, I look now) - Now, I have no problem with them or their work at all and am very thankful but when taking the eudev announcement in to consideration as well as posts/messages from people behind eudev on irc, mailing lists and places like phoronix forums, reddit and google+ I found it not only incredibly cheap to quietly pull their code after spreading lies and misinformation about a project and certain people but also incredibly hypocritical (correct english word?, I think) so I removed it for what I guess can only be describes as 'moral reasons'.

Currently it runs 'normal' udev but I consider to test neddys oldee-fashionedee-stylee-gentooee-ee-ee on that test box at some point, it has no X or any fancy so I expect it to be fairly easy and a bit of fun :D
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forget i have it, a real good sign, well it just works.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using eudev since it was released. It hasn't broken once.

I'd prefer to just use raw devtmpfs everywhere though, if not for the fact I do occasionally use modprobe and hotplugging sometimes. Less is more.
blueness
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rorgoroth wrote:
I too used eudev (I think it was at the 1.3 version) for a little while on test box and it worked well.

I was however forced to remove it after reading the git log and seeing the amount of code being pulled in from LP and other RH employees (even can be seen to this day, I look now) - Now, I have no problem with them or their work at all and am very thankful but when taking the eudev announcement in to consideration as well as posts/messages from people behind eudev on irc, mailing lists and places like phoronix forums, reddit and google+ I found it not only incredibly cheap to quietly pull their code after spreading lies and misinformation about a project and certain people but also incredibly hypocritical (correct english word?, I think) so I removed it for what I guess can only be describes as 'moral reasons'.

Currently it runs 'normal' udev but I consider to test neddys oldee-fashionedee-stylee-gentooee-ee-ee on that test box at some point, it has no X or any fancy so I expect it to be fairly easy and a bit of fun :D

I understand why you might think this is plagerism, no one is pretending anything here. I follow upstream commits but they are not slavishly reproduced in eudev. I select which commits to pull and which ones to reject. I often edit commits because most upstream work is tightly integrated with the rest of systemd which eudev does not have --- even when edited commits I always give upstream credit. Also I make sure that we stick to close to standards and that eudev compiles against uclibc and musl. I'm not out to pretend anything, I just needed something that worked on my systems (uclibc and musl based) and I share that work with others. I feel good looking through the forum and seeing people say that eudev "just works". Mission accomplished.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueness wrote:
rorgoroth wrote:

I understand why you might think this is plagerism, no one is pretending anything here. I follow upstream commits but they are not slavishly reproduced in eudev. I select which commits to pull and which ones to reject. I often edit commits because most upstream work is tightly integrated with the rest of systemd which eudev does not have --- even when edited commits I always give upstream credit. Also I make sure that we stick to close to standards and that eudev compiles against uclibc and musl. I'm not out to pretend anything, I just needed something that worked on my systems (uclibc and musl based) and I share that work with others. I feel good looking through the forum and seeing people say that eudev "just works". Mission accomplished.

Just that you know, =sys-fs/udev-212-r1 works on uClibc and I know this for a fact. Even musl needed only ~two files modified by last news, and I'm accepting patches, only reason it's not fixed by now is that nobody has filed a bug, and
I have no system to test it.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueness wrote:
I understand why you might think this is plagerism.

I suppose every fork could be called that.

Quote:
, no one is pretending anything here I follow upstream commits but they are not slavishly reproduced in eudev. ... I feel good looking through the forum and seeing people say that eudev "just works". Mission accomplished.

I and I'm sure that others that use it appreciate the work you and other devs do to keep eudev as an alternative.
Not everyone likes forked software and that is their choice.
Just as it is mine to seek forked software when it better suits my needs.

Any thanks.
gcc 9.3.0, profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited: Choice is good, whether anyone likes my choices or not.
gcc 9.3.0, profile 17.1 (no-pie & modified) amd64-no-multilib, eudev, openrc, openbox, palemoon

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
blueness
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:

Just that you know, =sys-fs/udev-212-r1 works on uClibc and I know this for a fact. Even musl needed only ~two files modified by last news, and I'm accepting patches, only reason it's not fixed by now is that nobody has filed a bug, and

I just tested and I'm getting the following. The biggest difference between eudev and systemd's udev is the shared code stuff. It is not insignificant and it does cause issues like this ...

/systemd-212/src/libudev -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/udev -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/udev/net -I ./src/udev -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-bus -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-rtnl -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd-network -pipe -Wall -Wextra -Wno-inline -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wformat-security -Wformat-nonliteral -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wold-style-definition -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wwrite-strings -Wno-long-long -Wno-overlength-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-result -Werror=overflow -Wnested-externs -ffast-math -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option -fno-strict-aliasing -fvisibility=hidden -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -pthread -O2 -pipe -c /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c -fPIC -DPIC -o src/libsystemd/sd-event/.libs/libsystemd_internal_la-sd-event.o
cc1: warning: ./src/core: No such file or directory [enabled by default]
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'event_source_type_to_clock':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:507:24: error: 'CLOCK_REALTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:507:24: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:510:24: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'clock_to_event_source_type':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:527:14: error: 'CLOCK_REALTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:530:14: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'sd_event_run':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:2170:37: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'sd_event_now':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:2298:14: error: 'CLOCK_REALTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:2306:14: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [src/libsystemd/sd-event/libsystemd_internal_la-sd-event.lo] Error 1
* ERROR: sys-fs/udev-212-r1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
* emake failed
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-fs/udev-212-r1::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-fs/udev-212-r1::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212-default'
* S: '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212'
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueness wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

I just tested and I'm getting the following. The biggest difference between eudev and systemd's udev is the shared code stuff. It is not insignificant and it does cause issues like this ...

/systemd-212/src/libudev -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/udev -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/udev/net -I ./src/udev -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-bus -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-rtnl -I /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd-network -pipe -Wall -Wextra -Wno-inline -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wformat-security -Wformat-nonliteral -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wold-style-definition -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wwrite-strings -Wno-long-long -Wno-overlength-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-result -Werror=overflow -Wnested-externs -ffast-math -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option -fno-strict-aliasing -fvisibility=hidden -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -pthread -O2 -pipe -c /mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c -fPIC -DPIC -o src/libsystemd/sd-event/.libs/libsystemd_internal_la-sd-event.o
cc1: warning: ./src/core: No such file or directory [enabled by default]
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'event_source_type_to_clock':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:507:24: error: 'CLOCK_REALTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:507:24: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:510:24: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'clock_to_event_source_type':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:527:14: error: 'CLOCK_REALTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:530:14: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'sd_event_run':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:2170:37: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c: In function 'sd_event_now':
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:2298:14: error: 'CLOCK_REALTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212/src/libsystemd/sd-event/sd-event.c:2306:14: error: 'CLOCK_BOOTTIME_ALARM' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [src/libsystemd/sd-event/libsystemd_internal_la-sd-event.lo] Error 1
* ERROR: sys-fs/udev-212-r1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
* emake failed
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-fs/udev-212-r1::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-fs/udev-212-r1::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212-default'
* S: '/mnt/external/var-tmp/portage/sys-fs/udev-212-r1/work/systemd-212'

With what version of uClibc? Only latest version in Portage, 0.9.33.2-r9, and HEAD should be working.

Like for example,

http://www.filewatcher.com/p/uClibc-devel-0.9.33.2-1.fc18.i686.rpm.1349548/usr/include/uClibc/linux/time.h.html

Code:

#define CLOCK_REALTIME_ALARM      8
#define CLOCK_BOOTTIME_ALARM      9

As in, #include of <sys/fdtimer.h> in sd-event.c will pull in <sys/time.h> for the defines.
blueness
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:

With what version of uClibc? Only latest version in Portage, 0.9.33.2-r9, and HEAD should be working.

Like for example,

http://www.filewatcher.com/p/uClibc-devel-0.9.33.2-1.fc18.i686.rpm.1349548/usr/include/uClibc/linux/time.h.html

Code:

As in, #include of <sys/fdtimer.h> in sd-event.c will pull in <sys/time.h> for the defines.

Its uclibc-0.9.33.2-r8.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueness wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

Like for example,

Code:

Its uclibc-0.9.33.2-r8.

Well, vapier has it up and running so don't know what to tell you. All the evidence points at the direction uClibc having these defines your build is dying on.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still more robust not to crap out when the defines aren't available, so good on you blueness.
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueness wrote:
I feel good looking through the forum and seeing people say that eudev "just works". Mission accomplished.

Consideration, acknowledgement and appreciation are what most authors/creators of anything for others use desire. Due to contradictions, like this and this, alternative efforts like yours at least help ensure a choice remains.

So, thank you Blueness (and others), it is appreciated.
Gatsby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched today from udev-208 to eudev-1.5.3-r1. It went fine and without problems on my two desktop systems and on my laptop.
It feels good to have got rid of systemd-udev because I hate this systemd-shit.
Many thanks to blueness & Co. :)

Regards, Gatsby
blueness
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatsby wrote:
I switched today from udev-208 to eudev-1.5.3-r1. It went fine and without problems on my two desktop systems and on my laptop.
It feels good to have got rid of systemd-udev because I hate this systemd-shit.
Many thanks to blueness & Co. :)

Regards, Gatsby

You're welcome everyone! And thank you guys for using it. And any reports because that's what makes a project strong.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueness wrote:
The biggest difference between eudev and systemd's udev is the shared code stuff. It is not insignificant

I assume you're talking about the stuff under src/shared in the systemd source.

If so, I looked at that and have to wonder why so much non-udev stuff is needed just to compile the udev portion.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
blueness wrote:
The biggest difference between eudev and systemd's udev is the shared code stuff. It is not insignificant

I assume you're talking about the stuff under src/shared in the systemd source.

If so, I looked at that and have to wonder why so much non-udev stuff is needed just to compile the udev portion.
"integration" :) it is projects like eudev which does raise questions about the validity of sysd claim that they had to integrate

interesting read on sysd

http://ewontfix.com/14
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that before but I really didn't start this thread to be about systemd per se.

Since I started this thread, I've already moved from an old udev to eudev and it's working fine.

I'm glad that eudev is around as an alternative.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I've read that before but I really didn't start this thread to be about systemd per se.

Since I started this thread, I've already moved from an old udev to eudev and it's working fine.

I'm glad that eudev is around as an alternative.
true and i apologies, its just as time goes on it is and will become harder to seperate them both

and yes eudev is great not only as a proof of concept but as a "get out of jail free" card
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't being critical, and yes, I feel the same way toward sysd.

That's why I'm glad alternatives like eudev or mdev still exist.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: