System crash, lost video acceleration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterMagister
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: System crash, lost video acceleration Reply with quote

I'm running an ~amd64 box with an Athlon X4 and Radeon HD 5670 video with ati-drivers and KDE Plasma desktop on a dual-monitor setup. Everything has been working beautifully until a couple of days ago, when I had a hard system lock (first time) while compiling a chromium update. I had to hard reset the box, and when it rebooted, my video was all screwed up. One of my monitors wasn't working at all, and I had no 2D or 3D acceleration. I booted into Windows 7 to be sure it wasn't a hardware problem, and everything worked fine there.

I have done "emerge -e ati-drivers" and "emerge -e xorg-server" and I now have both monitors working properly, but I still have no acceleration. "eselect opengl set ati" shows that the opengl is set properly, and at this point I'm out of ideas. The only thing left I can think of is "emerge -e kde-meta" but I have doubts that will work because so much of it already got pulled into the two previous recompiles.

Any ideas? TIA
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look in /var/log/emerge.log what it was specifically emerging the moment it crashed; other than that, if it's not something specific that's going on that was corrupted, it might have been something random that has corrupted in one or another way. In the former case, a simple re-emerge helps; in the latter, case I'm afraid you'll have to go further than that and do integrity checks as well as perhaps start over.

For an integrity check, do `qcheck -ap > ~/qcheck.log`; to follow its progress, do `tail -f ~/qcheck.log` in another terminal. If this yields multiple corruptions, a `emerge -e @world` might help; if it yields some you can `emerge -1 ...` the specific packages.

Though; with corruption, you can't entirely trust re-emerging things to fix it up. Things like databases elsewhere (not tracked by Portage), or configuration files (not tracked either) could be damaged too; to which extent you might want to start a new user profile, or backup /etc and set everything again. But if you're going down that road; given the time it'll involve, I suggest you might want to reinstall if there's too much corruption going on.
MisterMagister
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was emerging chromium and doing a little configuration on cairo dock when the crash happened, so I don't think it was anything system impacting that was going on there.

I tried qcheck, and the only files it turned up were config files that I had edited during installation. I didn't see anything that looked like corruption. I also tried emerge -e world just to make sure all my packages were covered, and still no luck. Also created a new dummy user with a clean config to be sure it wasn't something corrupted in my home directory, and nothing there either. It's just crazy.

So anyway, I ended up doing a clean reinstall and wound up with working 2D acceleration but still no OpenGL for desktop effects. I've configured this card and others just like it more times than I can count, but for some reason it took several tries and a couple hours of tinkering to finally get KDE to detect OpenGL and let me use desktop effects.

It's all working now, but for the life of me I can't think what might have happened. Thanks for the tip though - I never knew about qcheck. Those q commands are handy little tools.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: