Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Will Gentoo be 100% free using ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-world
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Will Gentoo be 100% free using ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE Reply with quote

Hi, I searched setting ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE" and using a free kernel will make Gentoo a completely free system. Is that totally true? Are the Gentoo licenses precise?
I have Gentoo installed and typing from it, but I didn't concern about freedom while I installed. I'm considering to free my Gentoo installation.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Will Gentoo be 100% free using ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @ Reply with quote

-world wrote:
Hi, I searched setting ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE" and using a free kernel will make Gentoo a completely free system. Is that totally true? Are the Gentoo licenses precise?

-world ... they are as precise as any parsing mechanism ... but no @FREE is not the same as @FSF-approved.

You may still have some small issues .. sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, even with 'deblob' useflag, did at one point fail with @FSF-approved (though this may nolonger be the case).

HTH & best ... khay
-world
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Will Gentoo be 100% free using ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @ Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
-world wrote:

-world ... they are as precise as any parsing mechanism ... but no @FREE is not the same as @FSF-approved.

You may still have some small issues .. sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, even with 'deblob' useflag, did at one point fail with @FSF-approved (though this may nolonger be the case).

HTH & best ... khay

Thank you a lot, I just found this:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_Groups

It has a disclaimer:

"We are programmers, not lawyers. Our evaluation if a particular license is a free software license is only a guideline for Gentoo developers and users. It is not a legal statement. There is also no guarantee that a particular LICENSE variable in an ebuild reflects reality. So don‘t rely on it, but check the license that is included with the package itself"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: