View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Gnome3.10 update - black screen - SOLVED Reply with quote

Hi,

Gnome 3.8 worked fine on this machine (x86_64, kernel 3.10.25, nouveau video driver) but

After updating from Gnome3.8 to 3.10 and restarting, the kernel loads, then systemd messages scroll down the page with OK in the leftmost column as the status for each one.
After displaying "OK - starting gdm", the screen blanks, the text cursor goes to the top-left corner and stays there.
After another few moments, the graphical mouse cursor appears.

If I log in as root on a tty console and systemctl stop gdm

I can then log out, log in as a normal user and issue startx
twm starts with a pair of xterms and xclock.

journaltctl -rb gives
Quote:
systemd[1]: Started Cleanup of Temporary Directories.
systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...
dbus-daemon[536]: dbus[536]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load:
dbus[536]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory
dbus[536]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service'
dbus-daemon[536]: dbus[536]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service'
gnome-session[588]: wrapper@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:213
gnome-session[588]: DateMenuButton<._updateClockAndDate@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dateMenu.js:198
gnome-session[588]: (gnome-shell:637): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Error: Argument 'text' (type utf8) may not be null
gnome-session[588]: DateMenuButton<._updateClockAndDate@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dateMenu.js:198
gnome-session[588]: (gnome-shell:637): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Error: Argument 'text' (type utf8) may not be null
dbus-daemon[536]: dbus[536]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load:
dbus[536]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory
dbus[536]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service'
dbus-daemon[536]: dbus[536]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service'
gnome-session[588]: _convertToNativeSignal@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/overrides/Gio.js:130
gnome-session[588]: _emit@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/signals.js:124
gnome-session[588]: ScreenShield<._init/<@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/screenShield.js:537
gnome-session[588]: ScreenShield<._onStatusChanged@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/screenShield.js:840
gnome-session[588]: notifyError@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:313
gnome-session[588]: notify@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:293
gnome-session[588]: (gnome-shell:637): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Exception in callback for signal: StatusChanged: TypeError: messageTray is null
gnome-session[588]: Gjs-Message: JS LOG: error: Unable to lock: Lock was blocked by an application
gnome-session[588]: Gjs-Message: JS LOG: pushModal: invocation of begin_modal failed
gnome-session[588]: Gjs-Message: JS LOG: pushModal: invocation of begin_modal failed
sshd[571]: SSH: Server;Ltype: Kex;Remote: 192.168.1.11-60092;Enc: aes128-ctr;MAC: hmac-md5-etm@openssh.com;Comp: none
systemd[682]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
systemd[682]: Reached target Default.
systemd[682]: Starting Default.
systemd[1]: Started User Manager for 0.
systemd[682]: Mounted /sys/fs/fuse/connections.
systemd[682]: Startup finished in 55ms.
systemd[682]: Mounted /sys/kernel/config.

One thing I've noticed, when I start X, I can run gnome-control-center, but every panel that has the UNLOCK icon cannot be unlocked, the lock stays grayed-out, even if I am in both the plugdev and wheel groups

I've tried removing ~/.conf/dconf/user and restarting as suggested in another thread but that changes nothing.

systemctl --failed -all
Quote:
0 loaded units listed.

systemctl status gdm
Quote:
gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib64/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sun 2014-03-16 21:44:06 EDT; 1h 29min ago
Main PID: 540 (gdm)
CGroup: /system.slice/gdm.service
|-540 /usr/sbin/gdm
|-554 /usr/libexec/gdm-simple-slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_0
`-558 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -background none -verbose -auth /run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-EsYlEX/database -seat seat0 -nolisten tcp vt7

systemd[1]: Started GNOME Display Manager.
gdm[540]: Failed to give slave programs access to the display. Trying to proceed.
gdm-launch-environment][581]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring

Does anyone have any insight? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Progman3K on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you report such backtraces upstream at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/?
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TomWij, I've started reading the Gnome bugzilla to see if anything of the sort has been reported.

I've noticed differences between systems that were Gnome 3.8 before upgrading to 3.10
and systems that I installed fresh since 3.10 is the default Gnome version in portage:

The contents of the /usr/lib/systemd are different, for one thing, which is strange considering they are both running identical profiles and versions of Gnome.
dengel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Is there any progress on this? Reply with quote

Has there been any progress on this problem? I know that it's been reported in a few threads...
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (had) the same problem and after a lot of searching and recompiling, went back to gnome 3.8. The funny thing is - gdm used to work on gnome 3.8 and now it gives the same blank screen as 3.10 does. Now I start gnome 3.8 with kdm or lightdm. whahappened?? e17 and xfce start and work fine (and kde when it was installed) .

JohnY

~x86 32bit on amd 4400+ dual core on a continuously updated gentoo from v0.4 starting on a k62-300 ....
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those whom ask for progress; check your logs, then report the warnings and errors from them upstream (link in previous post). That a blank screen is solved for one person doesn't mean it will be solved for another; I've got my blank screen solved a long time ago, however, it didn't fix it for the both of you. This has to do with specific regressions on specific graphics cards and/or combinations of other factors...
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day, everyone!

After syncing portage and installing updates this morning which seemed to contain update an update to xorg, the problem has gone away on its own without my changing anything, the system now enters Gnome without problem.

I'm not sure if I should mark this thread as resolved? I think I must.

Thanks you all for you help and investigative work and I hope any others also trying to resolve this problem fare as well after the update!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: