[Solved] no mousecursor
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: [Solved] no mousecursor Reply with quote

strangely after an upgrade of various packages I can't see the mouse-cursor. since I'm using gnome underneath I enabled the option for locating the mouse-position. now when I press ctrl a blue wave is forming around the cursor for a short time. I installed xsetroot but experimenting with various cursor-files didn't seem to change anything. my intel driver also doesn't allow for disabling the hw-cursor. as last resort I upgraded the kernel, but it didn't help. any other ideas? right before logging out the cursor was visible, then no more.

to be exact, I use the builtin intel device that usually comes with atom processors. X is started with systemd and gdm. upon logging in I get into cinnamon (which recently got upgraded).

Last edited by piotr5 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems my problem was caused by an incompatibility between cinnamon-1.8 and gnome-3.10. the mouse-cursor is visible in gnome, and in cinnamon when I click on "themes" in the settings, the settings will crash. so most likely cinnamon just didn't find the theme or something. now I upgraded to sabayon's version of cinnamon. they promise it works with gnome-3.10, and indeed the mouse-cursor has become visible again!

btw, I suggest to delete the sabayon overlay after installation, in past it caused some problems with mismatched versions in gentoo -- it's a full distro afterall. so pretty please, move the new cinnamon to gentoo. in upgrading I only had the difficulty that some files from cinnamon-1.8 interferred with installation of the sabayon packages. so I deleted them, and while cinnamon was building I backed up the new files. good that I did, because portage did simply delete the new files while uninstalling the old cinnamon-1.8. so I suspect gentoo will come with the new cinnamon only after that behaviour is fixed in portage...
RedSite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

same Problem here.

Sabayon fix the Problem but this is not the best final solution. And this Version Broke the "restart / power on / off" switch.
Also Please let the new Cinnamon in the Portage Tree.

Thanks and
Greet
Jen
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: