Display manager only logs in intermittently
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Display manager only logs in intermittently Reply with quote

I'm struggling to get my system to let me log in to an X session after an update on my old laptop. It was gathering dust for about three months, and I updated it over the last three days; there was a lot of tinkering to do to get it to update smoothly. After the update, X would not start at all. The problem was the nvidia drivers, which compiled, but the module would not load due to a missing symbol. I googled a round a bit, and found the problem, wrote a quick patch to fix it, and now it compiles fine, but the patch basically removes some supposedly extraneous functionality. Once the X server came back up, I tried to log in, via gdm, but it would not log me in, it just sat there after accepting my password. I swapped out gdm for lightdm to see if that was the problem, but lightdm has the same problem. Maybe one in 10 times, I can get through to a basic Xsession (no wm, one xterm). One thing that is more obvious through lightdm though is that it's struggling with actual authentication. I enter password once, and it's ignored, and a bar shows up asking for 'SSH password'. I enter my password again, and the bar disappears. Entering my password a third time is accepted, but often results in a hang, i.e. the login prompt disappears but my desktop session doesn't start. I've flipped over to VT1 and logged in, and enlightenment is started and running, but it's not showing up. If I log in to a simple X session, there's about a 1 in 5 chance it'll work, as in I've got through 2 times out of about 10 attempts where an attempts is a successful password entry, not counting the rejected password entries.

Anyone got any ideas?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is probably crashing (segfault) and dumping back to the login screen... Suspect hardware issues?
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not dumping me back per se, the login prompt disappears (not the background, just the input dialog) and does not come back. Also, I can start enlightenment from the terminal from the Xsession
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it just hangs there sometimes and the hardware hasn't crashed, I'd look towards network issues - whether your network is up, and perhaps something in your setup is waiting for a network resource to come up...
This unfortunately can be very ugly to debug... Maybe create a new user and see if it also plagues that user as well?
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. It's not network either, or at least network is up at the console. I've also discovered that if I wait long enough, enlightenment does eventually take over, I don't say started, because from looking at the output of "ps ax" that happens almost immediately. I'll keep digging. I'm getting the sense it's a pam issue...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: