Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] emerge --sync (weird adobe flash warning)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commander-keen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] emerge --sync (weird adobe flash warning) Reply with quote

Hello,

recently, when I try to do an
[code]emerge --sync[/code]
I get the following warning and I do not really know what to do.
[code]rsync: failed to set permissions on "/usr/portage/www-plugins/adobe-flash": Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: opendir "/usr/portage/www-plugins/adobe-flash" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/usr/portage/www-plugins/adobe-flash/ChangeLog": Permission denied (13)
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/usr/portage/www-plugins/adobe-flash/Manifest": Permission denied (13)
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/usr/portage/www-plugins/adobe-flash/adobe-flash-11.2.202.332.ebuild": Permission denied (13)
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/usr/portage/www-plugins/adobe-flash/metadata.xml": Permission denied (13)
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/usr/portage/www-plugins/adobe-flash/files" failed: Permission denied (13)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
www-plugins/adobe-flash/
www-plugins/adobe-flash/files/[/code]

This does not look right to me, but if I try to continue anyway and attempt to update my packages, I get errors whenever something is related to flash:
One particular example is the xorg server:
[code]Calculating dependencies / * Missing digest for '/usr/portage/x11-misc/slim/slim-1.3.5-r3.ebuild'
/ * Missing digest for '/usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-server/xorg-server-1.14.3.ebuild'[/code]

I searched the forums and the only thing that resembles to my problem is this:
[url]http://gentoo.2317880.n4.nabble.com/timezone-data-missing-digest-for-timezone-data-2010d-ebuild-td153047.html[/url]

According to that post, the solution is simply to wait and redo the
[code]emerge --sync[/code]

I did that two days ago, but I still got the same errors.
My problem is, I am relatively new to gentoo and do not really understand the error messages. Can you help me understand it better?

Thanks in advance,
Max

Last edited by commander-keen on Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you ran this emerge --sync from an unrestricted root shell, right? What is the output of stat -f /usr/portage? When was the containing filesystem last checked? Have you experienced any events that could cause filesystem corruption?
commander-keen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, I tried emerge --sync as root.

celadon ~ # stat -f /usr/portage
File: "/usr/portage"
ID: 920505e397037602 Namelen: 255 Type: ext2/ext3
Block size: 4096 Fundamental block size: 4096
Blocks: Total: 4128490 Free: 1829578 Available: 1619863
Inodes: Total: 1048576 Free: 619338

Concerning file system corruption. I am not quite sure. I installed Gentoo on a HDD and later dumped it to an SSD. I partitioned the SSD so that "/" and "/boot" would have exactly the same size as before. For my home-directory I simply copied the content, for the drives do not have the same capacity. I am pretty sure I used the same FS-types as before. This has already been a while, but now that you say it, I doubt that I ran an emerge --sync since then.

Is this a typical error message related to file system corruption? How can I verify or fix that?
On which parition should I run a FS-check? All portage related things are in "/" right?
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to match size if you plan to use dd or equivalent to clone the filesystem, which you should never do when the destination is an SSD. It is bad practice even when the destination is not flash based.

Filesystem corruption can show one of several different errors, depending on the nature of the corruption. When in doubt, check all filesystems. You cannot safely do a full check of a filesystem while it is mounted.
commander-keen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out what went wrong. When I transfered the files from HDD to the SSD I (somehow) missed /var. I then copied the missing files from a precedent backup. This way the content of /var did not correspond to the packages installed ion the system. Therefore the confusing error messages. My bad. Thanks for your help anyways!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: