network interface connection troubleshooting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradigm-X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: network interface connection troubleshooting Reply with quote

I am having a bit of a problem with one of the hardware network adapters on a machine, and I would like to take whatever steps are necessary to fixing the issue. Really, I do not know whether the actual hardware device or some sort of configuration issue is at fault, but every so often, apparently randomly from what I can tell, the connection goes down. This is not happening on the other adapter of this machine.

Fortunately, this is not the main interface on this machine, but it is an important one nonetheless, which I really want to work as perfectly as the other one does. Basically, I have this in '/etc/conf.d/net':

# the main adapter settings:
config_eth0="192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.1.255"
routes_eth0="default via 192.168.1.1"

# the second adapter settings:
config_eth1="10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 10.0.0.255"

I have no routing set for this second adapter because it connects directly to another machine's second adapter, which is configured in exactly the same way as this one but with its own IP address of course, i.e. 10.0.0.3. I should mention that this other machine does not have any sort of similar problem with disconnecting.

It would be swell if I could use a program to notify me of this connection status, one that ideally would be able to log or display these messages or errors. If I need to make some sort of "adjustment" to help this one stay connected, that would be fine, but I am not sure how to go about determining whether or not such is necessary. Any pointers would be appreciated.
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the connection stops working, post the output of the following commands:

Code:

# ethtool eth1
# ifconfig eth1
# ifconfig eth0

Sounds like a bad cable tho tbh, see if the first command returns something like "Link detected: no"
Also if your eth1 connects to a single host I'm pretty sure you should configure it in /etc/conf.d/net like so:

Code:

config_eth1="10.0.0.2 peer 10.0.0.3"

The above is if you're using iproute. If not use:

Code:

config_eth1="10.0.0.2 pointopoint 10.0.0.3"
[/code]

Misanthropy 2.0 - enough hate to go around
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: