ipv6 multicast on home LAN
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradigm-X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: ipv6 multicast on home LAN Reply with quote

It is not clear to me whether multicasting has any use on a home LAN, and maybe someone can shed light on that subject or point me to a link explaining such purpose. Anyway, when I want to disable multicasting on an interface on a small LAN, I think that one way to do so is to use this command:

ifconfig ethX -multicast

Running that command after an interface is up already would disable multicasting, if I am not mistaken. Even so, one thing (among many, alas :( ) not clear to me is whether this command is supposed to disable it on both inet and inet6, or does it work only on inet? Actually, I am not sure whether inet6 has multicast on a home LAN without being turned on explicitly.

I really would like to find a way to disable multicast in '/etc/conf.d/net' automatically, but I have not found any mentioning of it. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: