[Solved] - Enabling GLES and Disabling Opengl
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: [Solved] - Enabling GLES and Disabling Opengl Reply with quote

I'm running an ~amd64 system with KDE 4.12.2 and I've been trying to build my system with OpenGL ES 2.0 support. As I understand it, in order to do so I need to enable the gles USE flag(s), and disable the opengl USE flag. So my /etc/portage/make.conf has the USE flags, gles gles1 and gles2 enabled, and -opengl disabled. I'm managed to rebuild the affected components, but now every time I update my system I get the following output;
Code:
emerge --update --newuse --deep --verbose --pretend @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies                 ... done!       
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/cairo-1.12.16  USE="X glib svg xcb (-aqua) -debug -directfb -doc (-drm) (-gallium) (-gles2) -legacy-drivers -opengl* -openvg (-qt4) -static-libs -valgrind -xlib-xcb" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.15-r4  USE="X alsa audio joystick video xinerama xv -aalib -custom-cflags -dga -directfb -fbcon -ggi -libcaca -nas -opengl* -oss (-ps3) -pulseaudio -static-libs (-svga) -tslib" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.12.1-r1:2.8  USE="X gstreamer sdl tiff (-aqua) -debug -doc -gnome -odbc -opengl* -pch" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.2:4/4.12  USE="acl alsa bzip2 fam handbook jpeg2k kerberos mmx nls (policykit) semantic-desktop spell sse sse2 ssl udev udisks upower -3dnow (-altivec) (-aqua) -debug -doc -lzma -openexr -opengl* {-test} -zeroconf" 0 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-libs/cairo:0

(x11-libs/cairo-1.12.16::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(x11-libs/cairo-1.12.16::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    x11-libs/cairo[opengl] required by (net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.2.4-r200::gentoo, installed)
    x11-libs/cairo[opengl] required by (net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.2.4::gentoo, installed)

kde-base/kdelibs:4

(kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.6:4[aqua=,opengl] required by (kde-base/kwin-4.11.6::gentoo, installed)
    >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.2:4[aqua=,opengl,semantic-desktop?] required by (kde-base/pykde4-4.12.2::gentoo, installed)

(kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by

media-libs/libsdl:0

(media-libs/libsdl-1.2.15-r4::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=media-libs/libsdl-1.2.10[X,opengl] required by (media-libs/mlt-0.9.0::gentoo, installed)

(media-libs/libsdl-1.2.15-r4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by

x11-libs/wxGTK:2.8

(x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.12.1-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by

(x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.12.1-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    x11-libs/wxGTK:2.8/2.8=[X,opengl,-odbc] required by (media-gfx/hugin-2013.0.0-r1::gentoo, installed)
    x11-libs/wxGTK:2.8=[X,opengl,-odbc] required by (media-gfx/hugin-2013.0.0-r1::gentoo, installed)

What I don't understand is that the referenced packages;
Code:
emerge --pretend --verbose kwin pykde4 mlt hugin

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies   ... done!                     
[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/kwin-4.11.6:4/4.11  USE="gles (-aqua) -debug -opengl -wayland" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/pykde4-4.12.2:4/4.12  USE="examples semantic-desktop (-aqua) -debug -doc {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -python2_6 -python3_2" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/mlt-0.9.0  USE="dv ffmpeg frei0r gtk kde kdenlive melt mmx python qt4 quicktime sdl sse sse2 vdpau vorbis xine xml -compressed-lumas -debug -jack -libsamplerate -lua -rtaudio -ruby -swfdec" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-gfx/hugin-2013.0.0-r1  USE="python -debug -lapack -sift" LINGUAS="-bg -ca -cs -da -de -en_GB -es -eu -fi -fr -hu -it -ja -ko -nl -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sl -sv -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python3_2 -python3_3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -python3_2" 0 kB

aren't emerged on my system with the opengl use flag anymore. In fact you can see that cairo kdelibs libsdl and wxGTK aren't emerged with the opengl USE flag on my system either, in the first output above. If I add a --backtrack=30 to my emerge command, my system will ignore those 4 packages and those issues, (it only takes a long time to start emerging), but I need to add it every time I want to skip these issues. I guess I need a little help parsing what emerge is saying here..

Thanks..

Last edited by jasn on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mistwolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conflicts are with packages mlt, webkit-gtk kwin, pykde4 and hugin.

The messages can be read as:
x11-libs/cairo:0

net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.2.4-r200 and net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.2.4 require x11-libs/cairo to be compiled with the opengl USE flag enabled.

kde-base/kdelibs:4

kde-base/kwin-4.11.6::gentoo and kde-base/pykde4-4.12.2::gentoo require kde-base/kdelibs to be compiled with the opengl and aqua USE flags enabled.

media-libs/libsdl:0

media-libs/mlt-0.9.0::gentoo require kde-base/kdelibs to be compiled with the opengl and X USE flags enabled.

etcetera.

If you do an 'equery d opengl', it will tell you what packages depend on opengl and which USE flags on those packages (if any) can be disabled to remove the dependency.

Most packages that require opengl on my system depend on the 'virtual/opengl' package, so you might want to uninstall it as well.

Hope this helps.
koschi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your intention? Running the whole system on GLES or only kwin?

I'm running kwin under GLES by disabling the opengl use-flag and enabling the GLES use flag.

Works flawlessly with less CPU usage than before.
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mistwolf..

I should have read it that way too. I assumed that after rebuilding mlt, webkit-gtk kwin, pykde4 and hugin, after setting the gles, and disabling the opengl USE flags, it would have removed the opengl USE flag requirements on cairo kdelibs libsdl and wxGTK, but I see that it didn't. Adding the following to my package.use file got rid of the messages;
Code:
=kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.2 opengl
=media-libs/libsdl-1.2.15-r4 opengl
=x11-libs/cairo-1.12.16 opengl
=x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.12.1-r1 opengl

BTW the aqua USE flag is masked on my system. I've not been asked to rebuild cairo kdelibs libsdl and wxGTK, so it's clear that even after my original USE flag changes and system updates, those packages were never re-emerged with the opengl USE flag disabled on my system.

and yes koschi, I was trying to enable GLES system wide, and figured I should disable opengl system wide too. I guess it's not yet as straightforward as enabling gles and disabling opengl USE flags, system wide.

Jason
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: