Five Years of Gentoo — A Thank You
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiitoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Five Years of Gentoo — A Thank You Reply with quote

I am not one to care for post numbers, but I happened to notice that I'm creeping towards four digits here, so I figured why not use my one thousandth post just to say thanks to the community, as well as to Gentoo itself as a whole, for being there, with its problems and all.

It will soon be five years from when I joined these forums, and I think it already might be at around or past that for my first experiments with installing my Gentoo. Five years and a thousand posts certainly isn't much (about 0.02% of total / 0.51 posts per day), but I guess it isn't exactly little, either. Most of them (I think) have been to provide the little support I can to the other users. (I forget if deleted posts count; I often report spam and such, so I might be well over 1000 at the time of writing already. Search found 1004 matches.)

I sincerely hope at least some of them have been of some use to some users!

Going forward, I would like to do even more, but I've been lacking energy a lot, and sleeping most of the time (or at least it feels like I am, and I'm never feeling refreshed, only tired and sleepy). Not sure what I could even do, had I the energy.

I'm still using my first successful install on my main machine, which I recently moved from an HDD to an SSD. Due to the nature of Gentoo, it might be a bit odd to think of it as the same install after all this time, but it just is! Furthermore, I consider Gentoo to be my first Linux experience, even though I did a couple of Ubuntu installs before it, of which I didn't make any real use out of. It was kind of... boring, I maybe guess, and I wanted to get more intimate about it all. I do wish more people would give Linux at least a try, though I never recommend Ubuntu these days (usually Gentoo, of course, but more seriously Mint for those who are not likely to like the ways of Gentoo).

Installing Gentoo via a command-line interface probably sparked some nostalgia in me, reminding me of the days of getting my first DOS-diskettes and a PC (I started with a Commodore 64 before that, though, so it might have something to do with it as well!). I do wish I had discovered Gentoo earlier than I did, preferably circa 2000-2005, or even before that.

I never needed to go back to Windows again ever since I met Gentoo. It felt good to be free, so to speak, even if I'm still tied to Windows-only games. I manage that hurdle with the help of the Wine project, which has my eternal gratitude along with Gentoo!

Anyblue, here's to a thousand, and to hopefully many more to come!

Thank you.

><)))°€

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.
Buffoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun, I may install Gentoo myself one day (and become a Man).
AgarJames
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fine but it still remains much higher milestone.Would you like to share some your experience with us..

I have also joined this platform for getting and sharing new ideas and thoughts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: