Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
My Master Plan
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 8281
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: My Master Plan Reply with quote

All I need to do is to continue to argue with steveL and khayyam. Before I know it, I'll have more posts that NeddySeagoon! Plus, since I'm arguing with both of them, there's no way they'll be able to catch me.

(Rubs hands together.) Mua hah hah hah....hah.

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 999 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 2588
Location: Dallas area

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
_________________
Asus m5a99fx, FX 8320 - amd64-multilib, 3.15.9-zen, glibc-2.19, gcc-4.9.2, eudev
xorg-server-1.16, openbox w/lxpanel, nouveau, oss4(2011)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
depontius
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 2809

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need someone to dispute you on that claim? It might make for a few posts ouside of those with SteveL and khayyam, and bump the count faster.
_________________
.sigs waste space and bandwidth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 3436
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if you actually answered the points made, directly and substantively, once in a while.

Still, happy trolling. ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 33113
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham,

I would not like to think of anyone arguing on the forums at all.

Robert Quillen wrote:
... An argument is an exchange of ignorance.

I thought it was Oscar Wilde too.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2949

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My Master Plan Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
(Rubs hands together.) Mua hah hah hah....hah.

John ... are you Mini Me, or the full blown Me? .... yeah, well, wait 'til I start with my once, at summer camp megapost, you'll be eating dust with that evil grin ;)

best, and most evilist ... khay

ps, are you going for Graham's number?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 8281
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
It would be nice if you actually answered the points made, directly and substantively, once in a while.
I'll get right on that, sir. (See, it's working. :wink: )

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 999 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2949

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
steveL wrote:
It would be nice if you actually answered the points made, directly and substantively, once in a while.

I'll get right on that, sir. (See, it's working. :wink: )

John ... true, but a truely evil plan requires a truely evil method, how about replying to every post by myself or steveL with "+1"? ;)

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goverp
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 370

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the 15 minute argument, or the full half-hour? Can anyone join in?

------------

Do not reply to this email. It was sent by a robot.his email it waDo not reply to a robot. it was sent bythis email. It was...
_________________
Greybeard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
depontius
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 2809

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

John ... true, but a truely evil plan requires a truely evil method, how about replying to every post by myself or steveL with "+1"? ;)


If that were to happen, one would have to question whether John was a person or an evil robot.
_________________
.sigs waste space and bandwidth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 3436
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Is this the 15 minute argument, or the full half-hour? Can anyone join in?

The more, the merrier. ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 3436
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
If that were to happen, one would have to question whether John was a person or an evil robot.

On the flipside, one might question whether you're all robots, or instead just evil people..

<friendlyToaster> Pfft. organics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 8281
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Is this the 15 minute argument, or the full half-hour? Can anyone join in?
Of course, but you're only furthering my agenda.

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 999 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 8281
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My Master Plan Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
John ... are you Mini Me, or the full blown Me? .... yeah, well, wait 'til I start with my once, at summer camp megapost, you'll be eating dust with that evil grin ;)
I see myself more as serious fellow rather than a parody. Even now as I hide...no, that's not the right word...lurk, yeah, that's better. Even now as I lurk in my basement...wait, that's not right either. Workshop? No, not grand enough, and incomplete to boot. Aircraft Factory? Well, true, kind of, but still not right. Wait! I've got it: secret lair! (I keep telling my wife it's not a man cave. "Is too," she says. "Is not," I retort. "There's no beer. How can it be a man cave without beer?" My logic is, I believe, irrefutable.) To continue, even as I lurk in my secret lair, brandishing my cutting torch...no, that's not right, either. Secret weapons? Yeah, that sounds much better. Anyway, as I was saying, even now as I lurk in my lair, brandishing my secret weapons, I pursue my master plan in all seriousness. So you're quite incorrect.

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 999 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2949

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Master Plan Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
I see myself more as serious fellow rather than a parody. Even now as I hide...no, that's not the right word...lurk, yeah, that's better. Even now as I lurk in my basement...wait, that's not right either. Workshop? No, not grand enough, and incomplete to boot. Aircraft Factory? Well, true, kind of, but still not right. Wait! I've got it: secret lair! (I keep telling my wife it's not a man cave. "Is too," she says. "Is not," I retort. "There's no beer. How can it be a man cave without beer?" My logic is, I believe, irrefutable.) To continue, even as I lurk in my secret lair, brandishing my cutting torch...no, that's not right, either. Secret weapons? Yeah, that sounds much better.

John ... right, or not right, there's one small problem: such an empire, its grasp on the imagination, its machinations ... however well equipped and expressed ... goes into retreat at the mention of thy wifeypoo ;)

John R. Graham wrote:
Anyway, as I was saying, even now as I lurk in my lair, brandishing my secret weapons, I pursue my master plan in all seriousness. So you're quite incorrect.

+1

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 33113
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see John's plan to conquer the universe coming unstuck.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 8281
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
On the flipside, one might question whether you're all robots, or instead just evil people..
I'm afraid I must disagree, because, well, see my first post, but also because I am convinced that khay cannot possibly be a robot. I don't think it's within the capabilities of the current state of the art of AI to produce the sheer volume of erudition, diction, and downright heroic typesmanship that successfully and consistently flits in the general vicinity of the topics at hand. Question me if you must, but khay? Never!

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 999 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2949

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
[...] but also because I am convinced that khay cannot possibly be a robot. I don't think it's within the capabilities of the current state of the art of AI to produce the sheer volume of erudition, diction, and downright heroic typesmanship that successfully and consistently flits in the general vicinity of the topics at hand. Question me if you must, but khay? Never!

a fortiori ... consummatum est.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goverp
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 370

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

If that were to happen, one would have to question whether John was a person or an evil robot.

eliza wrote:
>> Hello.
How do you do. Please state your problem.
>> Is John a person or an evil robot?
I'm not sure I understand you fully.
>> I am worried that John is an evil robot.
Is it because you are worried that John is an evil robot that you came to me?
>> Yes, I need help.
You seem to be quite positive.
>> Wouldn't you be?
We were discussing you -- not me.
>> Are you accusing me of being a robot?
Why are you intersted in whether I am accusing you of being a robot or not?
>> As a robot, I am not interested in that.
How long have you been not interested in that?
>> Since, whatever ...
Please go on
>> Since, whatever
What does that suggest to you?

_________________
Greybeard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2949

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
khayyam wrote:
If that were to happen, one would have to question whether John was a person or an evil robot.

Goverp ... that's a misattribution, steveL wrote that, not me.

Goverp wrote:
What does that suggest to you?

That eliza doesn't get out much?

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 3436
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
khayyam wrote:
If that were to happen, one would have to question whether John was a person or an evil robot.

khayyam wrote:
Goverp ... that's a misattribution, steveL wrote that, not me.

No I didn't; depontius did.
steveL wrote:
On the flipside, one might question whether you're all robots, or instead just evil people..

John R. Graham wrote:
I'm afraid I must disagree, because, well, see my first post, but also because I am convinced that khay cannot possibly be a robot. I don't think it's within the capabilities of the current state of the art of AI to produce the sheer volume of erudition, diction, and downright heroic typesmanship that successfully and consistently flits in the general vicinity of the topics at hand. Question me if you must, but khay? Never!

Underneath the juvenile humour there is a point; or you wouldn't have started this thread. So, let's just deal with your central point shall we? Then you can see how it's done, and perhaps try to emulate the process.

You appear to be indicating that khayyam and I post too much. The only reason I can think that you've singled the two of us out, is the ongoing discussion about ffmpeg/libav and the associated thread about how Gentoo is (not) organised, about which your developers are clearly ignorant.

So from my side there is no point; you're just circling the wagons, as usual. You can try to pretend you're just doing it to alleviate tension, but that's nonsense, and we all know it. You are poking me and khayyam to get a rise, and hold us up as examples to the other users, on behalf of your "group". You know that in your heart of hearts, whatever crap you come up with to "justify" the behaviour after the event.
Have fun with your trolling; frankly I'm disappointed in you. Not that it matters ofc; I just thought you should know that.

It should also be made clear to you that trolling is trolling, whoever does it, and whatever badge they have attached to their moniker.

By all means accuse me of not getting the joke; so long as what you're doing has been called out for what it is: trolling, pure and simple. Not nice, by any means, since it is purely defensive, on behalf of the group you feel loyalty toward (which in this case, is not the users, but your fellow devs.) Nasty because you are in a position of authority, and have some associated weight behind your actions; as such for you to indulge in singling out anyone for mockery, is beyond the pale, afaic.

You should be ashamed of yourself, not crowing with self-indulgence at behaving like a school-yard bully.

And I say that as someone who has always liked and got on with you.

Seriously, grow up, and deal directly with whatever is bothering you, as you are much better than this.

For all who think I need a humour transplant: talk to someone who gives an interfsck. No doubt they'll all be lining up to take a pot-shot, now that John has declared open-season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ff11
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why the nonsense still there?! Things that should not be asked. Things that should not be there. Things that should not be asked by those who asked. Things that should not be decided by those who just want everything working. Technical lacking technical arguments using political arguments against users using technical arguments fortifying the political side...Oh...
Perhaps the gentoo should become a religious distribution, with the devs being the representation of God. So they could use the argument: "this is the God's will"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1223

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
John R. Graham wrote:
I'm afraid I must disagree, because, well, see my first post, but also because I am convinced that khay cannot possibly be a robot. I don't think it's within the capabilities of the current state of the art of AI to produce the sheer volume of erudition, diction, and downright heroic typesmanship that successfully and consistently flits in the general vicinity of the topics at hand. Question me if you must, but khay? Never!

Underneath the juvenile humour there is a point;

If someone sums up his numbers of posts like You do, there is a question to be asked: "Do you have a life?"
(This a quote, because it was asked before in the forums, do You remember who did?). May be a robot still has more of a life beside this forum ....
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 3436
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
If someone sums up his numbers of posts like You do,

WTF are you on about? I don't sit here summing up posts. And you don't need to capitalise You; I'm not God, nor a monarch (but thanks anyway.)
Quote:
there is a question to be asked: "Do you have a life?"
(This a quote, because it was asked before in the forums, do You remember who did?). May be a robot still has more of a life beside this forum ....

WTF is your point? FFS just spit it out, instead of this arrant nonsense.

In any event it's not about me; that's just the usual deflection, to make things about the person, ie the user, and not the distro, nor the staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
augustin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Is this the 15 minute argument, or the full half-hour?

LOL! Haha!



Quote:

M: Is this the right room for an argument?
O: I've told you once.
M: No you haven't!
O: Yes I have.
M: When?
O: Just now.
M: No you didn't!
O: Yes I did!
M: You didn't!
O: I did!
M: You didn't!
O: I'm telling you, I did!
M: You did not!
O: Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum