Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Politics of systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
mv wrote:
You claim now that /var is for permanent data like stored multimedia files (which according to FHS is /srv).

It's funny how you only mention "multimedia files" now, when it was also about "huge databases" before.

What one is for a private user, the other is for a company. Sure, sometimes a user changes its files, and sometimes also in huge databases changes are made, but usually the emphasis of these type of data is not the runtime change. There are of course corner cases for certain databases.
Quote:
(/var/db), and /var/www.

Interesting that after claiming first that one must never change the historical places, you now argue with places which were newer: On stackexchange some people complained about this non-historic location for web-servers.
Of course, the explanation is clear: Depending on the usage, web-server data has partially changed from being "mainly" constant to "mainly" variadic. Interestingly, also in the above thread it is mentioned that perhaps /srv/www is a better place (and that several distributions configure this place by default).
Quote:
the point is they know that /var is where their system-wide datasets live

... and for databases for which the variadic nature is not clear (e.g. because it changes only in exceptional cases), people would first look in /srv: That you have a place to look for such data for which the location is not necessarily canonical is exactly the purpose of /srv according to FHS.
Quote:
You don't care about what it was meant for, even though you want to claim designB is superior to designB: only what it's supposedly been used for ie a duplication of /var, likely based on the naming.

Oh wow, suddenly the naming of files becomes a "design" which can be superior (or inferior) to another "design" (by naming).
If there is any practical meaning of the names, then this that it can make sense in several situation to have a separate partition for /srv so that frequent changes are less likely to cause any harm to more persistent huge data sets.
But this all is the user's decision and depends on its needs and usage situation. Essentially, a name is just a name.
Indeed, I mainly judge names by their names... and by the convention by which they are used nowadays. The latter is what is documented in FHS. I couldn't care less which name conventions were considered 20 years ago on some machine which is now not in wide use anymore. (We do now discuss the general case and not a particular situation when one works for a company where this obsolete configuration is perhaps still in use and should not be changed for some reasons.)
Quote:
and the daemon-writers have lost /srv as it was meant to be

... by whoever meant it to be: Apparently, this suggestion was never submitted when FHS was established, or majority has voted against it; it is not used this way by any distribution I know of (including BSD); it is hard to find any trace of it at all. Obviously, people agreed on another meaning of /srv since 15 years. But yeah, who are these fools who were unable to recognize the obvious meaning of "srv" as "reserved for daemon-writers". Let's break the expectations of these fools and advocate again the one true meaning of this name!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You're just wittering now, mv, afaic.

You're point-scoring, not considering nor reflecting upon anything.

Maybe take a couple of days out.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
You're point-scoring, not considering nor reflecting upon anything.

Name conventions are name conventions - there is nothing to reflect about.
The only thing one might reflect about in the case of "summarizing" names to directories is that directories can easily be arranged to be on an extra partition/device, and so it can make sense to put together data in a directory which must be treated in a similar manner.

Concerning the former you made some claims contradicting the de facto conventions described in FHS, and concerning the latter you are plainly wrong (mostly permanent data - be it multimedia or other application data which all has to be carefully backed up and is often joint over several machines has nothing in common with runtime data of some daemons).
And instead of admtting that your claims appear strange, you are accusing me of babbling and not reflecting: Wow!

That we discuss aboutt the purpose of /srv and /etc/mtab symlinks in a systemd thread is strange enough anyway, since all this has really absolutely nothing to do with systemd (or other related crazy ideas like policykit). It existed many years before systemd/*kit. It seems that some people are really becoming paranoid and see "the same" conspiracy just about everywhere.

How about getting back to the topic of this thread?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/06/30/0058243/interviews-linus-torvalds-answers-your-question

Linus Torvalds wrote:
I have to say, I don't really get the hatred of systemd. I think it improves a lot on the state of init, and no, I don't see myself getting into that whole area.

Yeah, it may have a few odd corners here and there, and I'm sure you'll find things to despise. That happens in every project. I'm not a huge fan of the binary logging, for example. But that's just an example. I much prefer systemd's infrastructure for starting services over traditional init, and I think that's a much bigger design decision.

Yeah, I've had some personality issues with some of the maintainers, but that's about how you handle bug reports and accept blame (or not) for when things go wrong. If people thought that meant that I dislike systemd, I will have to disappoint you guys.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us have said that there are some things that systemd does better vs sysv init.

And I don't hate systemd, I just want a choice as to whether to use it or not.

As far as whether Linus likes it or not, it's really immaterial as it doesn't really have anything to do with the kernel.
As he says "I don't see myself getting into that whole area". So he's not going to write one of his own.

I'm pretty sure that Linus also doesn't care what gtk, qt, gnome, kde, etc want to do as a piece of user software.
He's only concerned about his area, ie the kernel.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
That we discuss aboutt the purpose of /srv and /etc/mtab symlinks in a systemd thread is strange enough anyway, since all this has really absolutely nothing to do with systemd (or other related crazy ideas like policykit). It existed many years before systemd/*kit. It seems that some people are really becoming paranoid and see "the same" conspiracy just about everywhere.

Fine so long as you stop the cod psychology and to be blunt: utter bullshit (as quoted here.)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
And I don't hate systemd, I just want a choice as to whether to use it or not.

I'm absolutely with you on that. The problem is that systemd is insidious. Had it remained simply an init system I would not have been concerned about its impact on GNU/Linux generally, but it now includes so many other components and functionality that I think it will suppress choice in several areas in the long run. The Windows and Linux paradigms are very different. For example, just because anti-virus companies compete to produce a better firewall than Windows Firewall -- so they can sell their product to the masses -- does not mean something similar will happen in the Linux. I wonder how long ufw will survive now that Ubuntu has switched to systemd and could therefore end up enabling firewalld as the default firewall instead. I wonder what will happen to syslog-ng etc. in the long run if all these binary distributions are bundling systemd with journald. And so on.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should just call it windowsd and be done with it. Next will be "Linux Genuine Advantage"

Last edited by Tony0945 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

... and we have already had the Gates Public Licence

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now dozens of dependency problems for people who use OpenRC on Arch:

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039425.html
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottre wrote:
There are now dozens of dependency problems for people who use OpenRC on Arch:

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039425.html

As they themselves admit (elsewhere and in one of the replies in that thread), Arch isn't really about user freedom. It's more about the developers and what they want. You the user are pretty much along for the ride unless you become a contributor and earn some say through virtue of merit from your contributions. Further Arch in comparison to Gentoo is more about simplicity for the developers. This means some sacrifices (in comparison to say a distro such as Gentoo) will often be made which reduce your choices. This instance with systemd is one such case. Another is with Arch always basically requiring that you use the newest stable upstream release to be officially supported.

So it's just a fact to say that Gentoo is more about user freedom and choice than Arch.
bstaletic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Arch puts developer/maintainer convenience before user convenience. That never stopped me in making Arch a perfect copy of Gentoo (at least for the packages I cared about). The only problem with Arch I recently had was libgudev mentioned in the mailling list above. The conflict is actually a false positive, and is easily solved.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
They should just call it windowsd and be done with it. Next will be "Linux Genuine Advantage"

lol :)

New! Improved! Lennux: with userland.exe! ;-)
dangeroushobo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemd now has its own conference...
systemd.conf
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five hundred euros is a lot of bread.

Welcome to the new Gates, same as the old Gates.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had time to look into it yet, but williamh now want to bring systemd style mounting to openrc. Here's his second thread on the topic.

There's talk of basically eliminating fstab and traditional mounting in favor for a systemd-like service complete with, for lack of a better term, unit files.

If williamh is so enamored with systemd (and likewise, most of the people commenting on the thread also want systemd), I wish he would just abandon his position of lead on openrc and let people that actually care about openrc run the show.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:

If williamh is so enamored with systemd (and likewise, most of the people commenting on the thread also want systemd), I wish he would just abandon his position of lead on openrc and let people that actually care about openrc run the show.

Absolutely!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:

Tony0945 wrote:
Absolutely!

++

The idea is complete crap afaic, as it's completely inappropriate for init-level work.

Where are all the threads with people clamouring to be able to depend on mount:usr and mount:var_tmp for example?

Just another idiot use-case looking for a problem, so some nub can call it an "innovative solution", imo.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:

Absolutely. If that actually happened I can only hope openrc would get forked. What on earth is wrong with these people? I guess more to the point...what the f*** is wrong with fstab??

steveL wrote:
Just another idiot use-case looking for a problem, so some nub can call it an "innovative solution", imo.

As I always point out, it seems to be a big trend to think that nothing simple can ever be good. if it's not a bloated over abstracted black box it can't possibly be good enough. I can only think it comes from people with an MS background.

Tom
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
if it's not a bloated over abstracted black box it can't possibly be good enough. I can only think it comes from people with an MS background.

Tom

Bingo! It's for people that don't understand computers and don't want to. That want a free Windows, not a free Unix.

Also, As a for-profit company Red Hat needs expanding markets for its service. One way is to obfuscate so that only Red Hat's people understand how it fits together.
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
As I always point out, it seems to be a big trend to think that nothing [simple can ever be good.

Indeed. That's the point of this new article from the suckless developers:

Systemd is the best example of Suck
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i understand this topic (mount on openrc) williamh is not going to remove fstab, he wants to use services to make the services depend on e.g. mount.home .
git clone https://github.com/schorsch1976/portage
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schorsch_76 wrote:
As far as i understand this topic (mount on openrc) williamh is not going to remove fstab, he wants to use services to make the services depend on e.g. mount.home .

As asked above: Where are all the threads with people clamouring to be able to depend on mount:usr and mount:var_tmp for example?
Or even mount.home.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
As asked above: Where are all the threads with people clamouring to be able to depend on mount:usr and mount:var_tmp for example?
Or even mount.home.

I would hope that if any such extranea were to make it into openrc, you'd need a USE flag to build it:
Code:
USE=sillycrap emerge sys-apps/openrc

Better still would be a separate package that could fit in modularly.

If I understand it, though, the intial complaint was from bug 537996 (>=sys-apps/openrc-0.13 netmount script cannot properly mount nfs shares). Funny enough, I have version 0.13.11 and the NFS shares in my /etc/fstab start up with no problems just as they did before. The problem seems to me to be less of williamh's taking initiative on this point as it is of the people who keep wanting these changes.

If they want systemd features, why don't they just use systemd?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:

If they want systemd features, why don't they just use systemd?
It depends if the features of systemd are worthwhile. I am not saying this is one of them or any of them, just to dismiss a concept just because it is systemd in origin is a oneTrueScotman stance
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 16 of 30

Jump to: