Is gnome 2 coming back?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nreal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Is gnome 2 coming back? Reply with quote

Just noticed that gnome games UD from 3.6 to 2.8 - is my favorite desktop coming back?

If that would be the case, I would be very happy..

Have not found any desktop that suits my needs, as good old gnome did.

Gnome 3.x is like win8 -> garbage
mubai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nreal,
the closest thing to an actual revival of Gnome 2 itself, is the Mate desktop which is a fork of Gnome 2: http://mate-desktop.org/

In Gentoo it's available through layman and the mate overlay.
OldTango
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is gnome 2 coming back? Reply with quote

Nreal wrote:
Just noticed that gnome games UD from 3.6 to 2.8 - is my favorite desktop coming back?
Gnome-2.32 is still in portage for the time being. In time it will most likely be removed form portage and maintaining a Gnome-2 install will become increasingly difficult. You would have to set up your own Gnome-2 overlay and than solve the problems of using an unmaintained DE yourself.

If you really like the look and feel of Gnome-2 than my advise would be to install the MATE DE.
muba wrote:
Nreal,
the closest thing to an actual revival of Gnome 2 itself, is the Mate desktop which is a fork of Gnome 2: http://mate-desktop.org/

I have it installed on three systems and you would be hard pressed to find any difference between my MATE installs and a Gnome-2 DE.

If you want something much lighter you could try Xfce which I used for a short time and had it configured to look and function much like my old Gnome install. It worked great on a single user system where the user had sufficient linux knowledge but it didn't work out as well on a multi-user system where the users have limited linux and DE knowledge.

Its just a matter of time before Gnome-2 is completely dead.............. :(
mubai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango,

I'm an old fan of Gnome, first used it way back on Solaris but since the early releases of Gnome 2 I switched to being an avid fluxbox advocate here on Gentoo. That is, until I stumbled across your post about Mate :-)
I tried it out and been stuck in it for some weeks now, and it's working just fine. In the choice between Gnome 2.32 and Mate, I'd definitely stay on the Mate-track due to it actually being actively developed (most important: security holes gets fixed... ).

So, thanks for your guide of inspiration ;-)

Regards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: