Migrating away from Gnome profile?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrittenh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Migrating away from Gnome profile? Reply with quote

First, I apologize if this isn't the appropriate forum. If I should repost this elsewhere, please let me know (or if a mod wants to migrate it or whatever).

I was using Gnome up through 3.4. The 3.6 update broke pretty badly, I "temporarily" switched to Fluxbox, decided I didn't miss all the bells and whistles, and have stuck with it. However, I still have a significant chunk of Gnome installed on my system, and I'm still using a desktop/gnome profile. It's making updates more and more difficult, and it appears to be breaking a couple of programs as well. At this point, I'd like to do as little to the system as possible as far as extracting Gnome, while still simplifying system adminstration. I uninstalled gnome-base/gnome, gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3* (2.32.1-r2 is apparently still installed), gnome-base/gnome-shell, and possibly one or two other packages. For the most part, this seems to have "fixed" most of my update issues (nothing wants to pull in systemd anymore, and I'm not getting a bunch of gnome packages requesting updates in a world update). However, there are still a few packages floating around that don't quite work right. I'd like to fix those programs while retaining a generally GTK-based system if possible just to save myself the headache.

So here was my thought: Switch to 13.0/desktop instead of 13.0/desktop/gnome, recompile the system, and see where I'm at. I've never done that kind of thing before, though, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has done this and how they went about it.

I may end up just rebuilding the system from scratch for a few reasons, this just being the biggest, but I'd prefer not to go that route just yet.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Migrating away from Gnome profile? Reply with quote

jrittenh wrote:
So here was my thought: Switch to 13.0/desktop instead of 13.0/desktop/gnome, recompile the system, and see where I'm at. I've never done that kind of thing before, though, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has done this and how they went about it.
That's spot on. Also, before your re-emerge, you'll probably want to check the USE flags you have manually set in
  • /etc/portage/make.conf, and
  • /etc/portage/package.use
to make sure you don't have any remaining Gnomeisms. Don't reinstall your system because of this issue: no need at all.

Also, you know you don't have to recompile everything, right? A simple
Code:
emerge --update --deep --newuse @world
will take care of it, recompiling just what's needed.

- John
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Migrating away from Gnome profile? Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Don't reinstall your system because of this issue: no need at all.

I even wonder if there's at least one case (not hardware issue) that exist that need someone to reinstall ?
Even a broken portage and toolchain have easy fixes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: