feh background parameters
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: feh background parameters Reply with quote

Hi there,

a few months ago the guys from e16 team disabled the fake transparency. So I started with the last update the approach to use real transparency in e16. I got that working so far.

As desktop application to show some status informations I use gkrellm. That thing has a transparency theme. The combination of Esetroot in the gkrellm backgroundchanger and the gkrellm transparency theme worked quite well without any problems.

Now with composite extension enabled Esetroot sets the background picture only to the gkrellm background and ommited the rest of the screen. Don't know why.

So I tried feh to set the background. Found this article. That worked, when the pictures were in the same resolution as my desktop. But in a different resolution the background wallpaper will be tiled.

The options according to the manpage:
  • bg-center: pic will be displayed without scaling in the center of the screen - works as expected.
  • bg-fill: should scale the pic to the screen resolution with respecting the aspect ratio. In my case, it works like bg-tile. It displays the picture in original resolution on the upper left of the screen and fills the rest of the screen with parts of the pic.
  • bg-max: same as bg-fill.
  • bg-scale: scales the image to the screen size, but doesn't respect the aspect ratio. Until now it's the only usable option for me.
  • bg-tile: same as bg-fill and bg-max.

Maybe that bug is related to the usage in e16. Does anyone know more about that and has maybe a solution? Are there other tools than Esetroot and feh to set the background wallpaper?
olek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feh-2.9.3 -curl -debug -exif -test -xinerama
with
media-libs/imlib2-1.4.6 X bzip2 gif jpeg png static-libs tiff zlib -doc -mmx -mp3 -nls

working as expected over here (and older versions as well afaik)

using X + dwm
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ equery uses feh
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-gfx/feh-2.9.2:
 U I
 - - curl     : Add support for client-side URL transfer library
 - - debug    : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to
                get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 - - exif     : Add support for reading EXIF headers from JPEG and TIFF images
 - - test     : Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with FEATURES=test.
                Portage-2.1.2 handles this internally, so don't set it in
                make.conf/package.use anymore
 - - xinerama : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which is mandatory if you work in
                multiple monitors setup

No use-flag set here and everything working fine setting root bg on transparent windows with
Code:
feh --no-xinerama --bg-scale '/usr/share/pixmaps/scary-home.jpg'
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried some other tools.

• Esetroot: called by gkrellm sets only the background of gkrellm. Called in xterm it sets the background of e16 but not the background in gkrellm.
  • qiv: didn't set anything.
  • display (imagemagick): same, didn't set anything.
  • xsetbg: didn't set anything.
  • hsetroot: weren't able to compile.
  • eesh background: same, didn't set.

I would suggest, the problem is e16 in that case, why most of the tools don't work. And especially the fake transparency of gkrellm in that combination maybe shuts down eesh and Esetroot.

Until I find out more, I'll keep using feh --bg-scale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: