kde: mouse is frozen after standby / kernel 3.12.7 [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geeksheik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: kde: mouse is frozen after standby / kernel 3.12.7 [solved] Reply with quote

This was sort-of solved by switching back to a stable kernel. Perhaps there was a reason that 3.12.7 was masked...

Be aware that gentoo-sources 3.12.7 may have mouse issues after standby. A restart of xdm/kdm did not bring mouse events back and my hardware is quite standard and current.

=== Original Post ===

I have a new issue since a world upgrade: after my system goes into powersave and then wakes up, the mouse is frozen in place on the screen. It does not seem to respond to any click or movement events. It's a USB wheel mouse, not a track pad.

Quote:

# lsusb -vvv

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 046d:c051 Logitech, Inc. G3 (MX518) Optical Mouse

The issue occurs either after the system has gone to sleep via the timeout in the power settings or if it's gone to sleep via pm-suspend on the command line.

An inspection of /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows that it's been unloaded, and show no sign of being reloaded again after resume:

Quote:

[ 33090.983] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 2560x1440@60.0 on HDMI2 using pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none
[ 48708.963] (II) config/udev: removing device Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
[ 48708.973] (II) evdev: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Close
[ 48708.973] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[ 48709.560] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 2560x1440@60.0 on HDMI2 using pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

Disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse has no effect. I rebuilt my kernel so that mousedev is a module; unloading it and reloading it has no effect.

I've tried using xinput --enable <device>, but it does not fix the issue. xinput --disable <device> yields a "BadAccess (attempt to access private resource is denied)" error.

The issue began after a world upgrade, which upgraded kde from 4.10.5 to 4.11.2, xorg driver and server from 1.13 to 1.14 and pm-utils from 1.4.1 to 1.4.1-r2

I also updated my kernel from the stable 3.10.25 to the masked 3.12.7. This was necessary to support 2560x1440 resolution with the built-in graphics on my Intel i7 i7-4771 / E3-1200 processor on an Asus H87-PRO motherboard.

I just discovered that when I revert the kernel back to 3.10.25 (with essentially the same .config), I no longer have this problem. ...but I also only have 1920x1080 resolution.

Why can't there be 1 kernel version to rule them all?!
geeksheik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-sources:3.11.10 supports both the full resolution of the screen (2560x1440) and does not have the mouse-frozen-after-standby bug. :) It seems to run fine.
k_klunz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem described by the thread starter since recently upgrading to the stable kernel 3.12.13.
After each standby, the standard usb-mouse is frozen and not found by lsusb. Unplugging and plugging in again doesnt help.

Can anybody confirm this or has a workaround?

Thank you very much in advance
tobi

EDIT: I reverted back to 3.10.25 and everything is fine again. No idea what caused the problem, but scanning over the kernel-mailing-list there seemed to be some recent problems with suspend/resume...
geeksheik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know that it's still an issue. I guess I'll postpone my upgrade...and it looks like 3.11.x is no longer available in gentoo-sources; I'm stuck in no-mans-land until I want to spend an evening compiling kernels and rebooting my system...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: