Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What in the world is going on with the KDE suite?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: What in the world is going on with the KDE suite? Reply with quote

Like the title says, what in the world is going on with the KDE suite? I've been using KDE as my DE since the late '90s, long before I started with Gentoo. I have several machines setup with kde-meta so I can bring in all of the packages. All are ~amd64. With the most recent updates to 4.11.5 and 4.12.0 there was a slew of packages that weren't updated when the rest were.

Now today when I synced portage those packages want to update to version 4.11.5 from 4.11.4 when the rest have previously been updated to 4.12.0 a couple of weeks ago. What on earth is going on here? Are the KDE packages no longer being updated together anymore? Was there a problem that caused them to be held back while the rest were updated?

In all my years running Gentoo I've never seen anything like this with KDE before, and I can't seem to find any answers in my searches. Does anybody know what's going on and can explain to me? TIA
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasma 1 is not getting feature updates anymore, it's in maintainance mode. You will get 4.11.x updates until August 2015. Main focus is now on Plasma2 coming with KDE5.
The rest of kde4 seems to still get feature updates, so they keep the usual 6 months cycle (hence 4.12).
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how you possibly couldn't find any answers ;)

http://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves

It's a bit confusing at first, but in the end we will all get used to it.
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and links guys. But now I'm more confused than ever as to the future of KDE. I frankly haven't been following this stuff, I just care that it works. I spend most of my time hacking Android now so I'm way more in the loop as to what's going on there then with KDE.

To an outsider reading around their site, it seems as though its becoming fragmented and disjointed in much the same way that gnome has been for years. Maybe the time has finally come for me to investigate alternatives. I'm interested in a DE I can use to be efficient in getting work done, not learning a new paradigm. It seems as though all of these projects are going the way of Microsoft, forcing users into alien environments and disrupting their productivity just for the sake of offering up eye candy no one needs or wants to use anyway.

Thanks again for the help.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odysseus wrote:
Maybe the time has finally come for me to investigate alternatives. I'm interested in a DE I can use to be efficient in getting work done,
not learning a new paradigm.

May I recommend Xfce?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odysseus wrote:
To an outsider reading around their site, it seems as though its becoming fragmented and disjointed in much the same way that gnome has been for years. Maybe the time has finally come for me to investigate alternatives. I'm interested in a DE I can use to be efficient in getting work done, not learning a new paradigm. It seems as though all of these projects are going the way of Microsoft, forcing users into alien environments and disrupting their productivity just for the sake of offering up eye candy no one needs or wants to use anyway.

erm, why, do you experience any fragmentation, have you seen any disturbing 'alien footage', or are you simply insecure just because there's some versioning differences? All the work that is done for kf5 while under freeze is under the hood so that you and me can continue to have an undisturbed desktop experience until it is ready. And even then Gentoo packagers do all the work for you wrt dependency resolution, and maybe you even have an advantage in compile time in case you use a smaller subset of KDE applications that doesn't require building all of formerly-ill-reputed-"bloated"-kdelibs. Maybe you and me even start developing with KDE libraries for Qt because we can cherry-pick instead of pulling in big old kdelibs. Same goes for plasma workspaces 2 - all the work done to get ready for Qt5 and Wayland does aim for 'if you can't spot a difference, we've been successful'. Have you seen a video of plasma workspaces 2 yet?

Even if there was actual turmoil to talk about, you could at least stay calm for 2014 since current plasma workspaces 4.11 enjoys long term support, (kdelibs is frozen for more than two years already, they just increase major version for convenience), kind of what we got with 3.5 and its many minor revisions.

See also: http://aseigo.blogspot.co.at/2014/01/frameworks-5-timing-is-everything.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: