error: unsupported while loading vmzlinuz-arch.efi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fresherthanever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: error: unsupported while loading vmzlinuz-arch.efi Reply with quote

I hadn't been using my main rig in a while due to work, so this morning I went back to update my system. Overall went pretty well, but I also decided to upgrade the kernel from pf-3.11.4 to geek-3.12.8 (radeon :) ). I recompiled the kernel from oldconfig and make && make modules_install'd, built a initrd with dracut and did exactly what I did last time, place .efi image of kernel into /boot/efi/efi/boot (where the last image resided), as well as image of initramfs of 3.12.8 into that directory as well. I rebooted back in, (using rEFInd) and got a "Error: Unsupported while loading vmzlinuz-arch.efi". I was sure that all requirements of EFISTUB + rEFInd were satisfied (as oldconfig was fine). I haven't checked the rEFInd config yet. I don't know what this message means, but a quick skim over the Google searches suggests it is associated with problems with rEFInd itself; I use a legacy version (0.5???) although it worked fine with the previous kernel. I would also not like to switch to grub unless last resort.

What should I do and what should I do to ensure that future kernel updates won't break my system like this :/

I will dump everything I have when I get the time to boot back in with a LiveUSB. :)

Thanks! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: