{solved} (cryptsetup-luks) Initramfs help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: {solved} (cryptsetup-luks) Initramfs help Reply with quote

Im am getting back to gentoo after a year of win7 frustration.(not having time to install gentoo during college and needing word)

I remember how to set up everything but since mkinitcpio is out of the portage tree i have not suceeded in making an intramfs that boots.
I am currently rereading all encryption/initramfs tutorial i can find , but i would like some reminders or pointers.

I did compile better-initramfs and install it but i dont understand how i am supposed to pass boot parameters and configure grub2 to use it.

I have a jfs partition for boot on a usb key labeled boot_stick and my whole hdd (dev/sda) is encrypted dev/mapper/rot is also partitioned as jfs.

Last edited by jpc22 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
haVok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also just use genkernel to build the initramfs, make sure cryptsetup and genkernel are installed, not sure if u want lam or not but the hand book has info on genkernel
genkernel --luks --install initramfs, and sorry I don't know much about better initramfs
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not familiar with genkernel and i guess its initramfs would not work with a kernel not produced by it, but i will probably try it anyway tomorrow.
haVok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No u can build you own custom kernel and use genkernel just to build the initramfs
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/HOWTO
example for luks: genkernel --luks --install intramfs
and it will copy it to your /boot
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks buddy , but i need to backup your .config in case genkernel messes with it? will try tomorrow its almost midnight.

Last edited by jpc22 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
tuxtor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still are with better-initramfs you should only specify an initrd line like this

Code:

menuentry "Gentoo Linux Geek - geek-linux-3.12.4" {
  insmod part_msdos
  insmod ext2
  set root=(hd1,msdos1)
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c4eda537-7a61-4911-bade-d3bbf6e3f2c7
  linux /geek-linux-3.12.4 enc_root=/dev/sdb2 lvm luks root=/dev/mapper/vg-root rootfstype=ext4 splash=verbose,theme:livedvd-12.0 quiet video=uvesafb:1280x800-32,mtrr:3,ywrap root=/dev/mapper/vg-root rootfstype=ext4
  initrd /fbramfs.cpio.gz
  set gfxpayload=text
}

The fbramfs.cpio.gz is the file generated by initramfs, all other options go in kernel parameters.
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(EDIT)
When i try to boot grub it fist says the following but still proceeds to the menu.
error: file '/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2' not found
error: no suitable video mode found.

Both genkernel and better-initramfs are automatically configured by grub using the arguments i provide in /etc/default/grub
But they never ask me my password to decrypt /dev/sda and they try to mount /dev/mapper/root which utterly fails.
Even if i use their rescue shells to unlock /dev/sda and let them resume their booting ,they still cant find /dev/mapper/root

better-initramfs says could not find the root device in .
genkernel says something like it cant find /dev/mapper/root in fstab

/etc/default/grub
http://bpaste.net/show/sGUHc7i3yjYmXyI2M7d6/
genkernel conf.
http://bpaste.net/show/YCSfW8LmiWBAn61nu7wk/
/etc/fstab
http://bpaste.net/show/kUfSn4e7iDsA65geqjYT/

(EDIT) Tried all those to influence the linux_10 grub2 script output whit no sucessful boot

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux acpi=on cryptdevice=/dev/sda:root panic=10 ro"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux acpi=on crypt_root=/dev/sda:root Real_root=/dev/mapper/root panic=10 ro"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux acpi=on enc_root=/dev/sda luks root=/dev/mapper/root rootfstype=jfs splash=verbose,theme:livedvd-12.0 quiet root=/dev/mapper/root panic=10 ro "

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

Noticed this in grub2-mkconfig: it points my boot partition as the root device how do i fix that (will try writing a custom one)?

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos1 156ecc58-262c-435b-97f7-67565919ff59
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 156ecc58-262c-435b-97f7-67565919ff59
blkid
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="boot_stick" UUID="156ecc58-262c-435b-97f7-67565919ff59" TYPE="jfs"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sr0: UUID="2012-12-20-21-49-47-00" LABEL=""Gentoo Linux 20121221"" TYPE="iso9660" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda: UUID="87094233-7c3f-4be9-aa3c-b550e5a24540" TYPE="crypto_LUKS"
/dev/mapper/root: UUID="d159d45f-dabb-4ccd-a61b-2ccf781a4e34" TYPE="jfs"

(edit) tried substituing the uuid with those of /dev/sda and /dev/mapper/root with all the variables above.

Last edited by jpc22 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain me how i am supposed to tell grub that /dev/sda is the encrypted root partition and dev/sdb1 the boot, when grub is on the /dev/sdb mbr and which damn boot arguments i need to pass(been trying adapting tuxtor config to my system and tried merging with lots of other things all day long.

Is there anyway i could somehow ressurect mkinitcpio with this https://bitbucket.org/braindamaged/mkinitcpio-gentoo/
since mkinitcpio worked just fine and used to produce in 5 minutes what i was unable to do in countless hours : an initramfs that worked with jfs on dev/sda:root and boot on usb stick

(EDIT)
Gonna try rolling my own initrd again
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used extlinux from syslinux and now it boots but i have a small issue that will be for another thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: