Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Fresh Gentoo Install - Gnome almost blank? (VBox)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iFergal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Fresh Gentoo Install - Gnome almost blank? (VBox) Reply with quote

Hey,

So basically, I've installed Gentoo through VirtualBox on Win7. I've been following these videos to install.

I emerged Gnome and GDM. After installing, through my own account (not root) I used startx and everything seemed to be going fine, so I re-booted and it automatically loads Gnome so not sure what I can do to get into any terminal.

When Gnome loads up, it's almost blank. Just a grey desktop background, calender option on center top and on the top right, some very basic options (just larger text) and volume.

Nothing else. But if I leave it idle, it will show the time and date in the middle in large text, and with a different, kind of blue background. All previous options lost besides volume and can't get back to that previous screen.

If I hit escape it will also freeze.

If there's any files or such ye want me to post, I'll try, as long as ye give a way to access them if I can't stay in terminal.
Thanks!
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the new SmartPhone look of Gnome. You're better off with Mate or XFCE.
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have using Gnome for long time, but IIRC if you installed from 'gnome-base/gnome-light' you only have the "base" gnome. Now you have to install just what you need: Gnome-Shell, Gnome-terminal etc.

EDIT: did you select the gnome profile?
iFergal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what happened to me was I was installing the normal version of gnome - was almost done, but kept on getting this same error for one package, can't quite recall what it was because I was busy and hadn't much patience for it. So, I emerged gnome-light and that went fine before rebooting.

How exactly am I to install the gnome-shell/terminal though? As it auto boots into gnome and I can't do anything in there.

But yes, I have the gnome profile selected.

@Tony: Yeah, I heard people favouring other environments over Gnome, just said I'd follow that tutorial. Probably would have been easier with the official documentation.

Might give it another go when I have time, or see if I can get Arch working, was getting a completely black screen on bootup for that, worse again. :P
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iFergal

1 - Switch to another tty: Ctrl+Alt+F1,F2,F3...
2 - Login
3 - Done :)

Cheers!
iFergal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel like an idiot. Used that so much during the install and never thought of it then! Aha.

Thanks mate!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: