Virtualbox Not running
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donald3.heckel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Virtualbox Not running Reply with quote

Hello,

On my Gentoo Host, I try to open virtualbox and it tells me to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup. It also tells me that I have an invalid kernel directory. I am using genkernel and I am not sure what to do about this.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

donald3heckel
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you merged the virtualbox-modules package? NOTE: you need to re-emerge the virtualbox kernel modules everytime you update the kernel.
To be safe, you can tell portage to re-emerge all kernel modules after an update with:
Code:
emerge @module-rebuild

Also, you have to make sure the following kernel modules are loaded before starting virtualbox:
Quote:
vboxdrv
vboxnetadp
vboxnetflt
vboxpci

You can accomplish that by adding them to the "modules=" variable in /etc/conf.d/modules (if you are using openRC), or list them in a file in /etc/modules-load.d/, if you are using systemd.

Regarding the invalid kernel dir: Check what you have in /usr/src/:
Code:
ls -l /usr/src

There should be at least one subdir with "linux-3.xx.x-gentoo" and one symlink named "linux" that points to that directory. I guess that it is looking for /usr/src/linux/ to check your kernel config but does not find it. If the symlink is missing, just re-add it:
Code:
ln -s /usr/src/linux-3.xx.x /usr/src/linux

while 3.xx.x is your current kernel version.
donald3.heckel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Hello,

I am not exactly sure on what I should do. It seems confusing because I did not update my kernel. Also, I am using genkernel. Here is my /var/log/vbox-install.log: http://bpaste.net/raw/165133/

Thanks.

Sincerely,

donald3heckel
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is curious that you did not update the kernel, but still there seem to be files missing that should be there if you would have had you kernel compiled.

Is the kernel version "linux-3.7.10-gentoo" refered to in the logs actually the version you are currently running? It might be that you updated the gentoo-sources package on some update world run, an now /usr/src/linux points to the newer src dir, while you are running an older kernel?

Please check that by comparing the link and the currently running kernel version:
Code:
ls -l /usr/src/linux
cat /proc/version

If they are not the same, have a look whether the kernel sources for the currently running kernel version are still there in /usr/src. Delete the /usr/src/linux symlink and point it to your current kernel instead.
Code:
rm /usr/src/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-<VERSION>-gentoo /usr/src/linux

If they are the same, then for some reasons those files are missing. You can get them back by re-compiling your kernel. Either re-run you genkernel, or go to /usr/src/linux and type:
Code:
make

Let it run through an try the virtualbox setup again.
donald3.heckel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Hello,

I am not running an older kernel. I had 3.7.10 installed on the day I first installed Gentoo Linux. The log files match up exactly to the kernel source directory.

I just checked my terminal and kernel 3.10.17 may be available for installation. I will try this new kernel soon and I will let you know the results.

I will also do a possible update on my genkernel just in case.

Sincerely,

donald3heckel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: