View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use my USB-to-PS/2 converter the light on my mouse turns on but neither /dev/input/mice nor /dev/input/mouse0 produce ANY output for it and the mouse does not work at all, inside X or using gpm. No other mouse devices popped up in /dev either. Hotplug and Codplug are both started in the default runlevel. If I hotplug it back into usb it works, but not the scroll wheel, as expected.

Edit: The wheel works in Windows
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model do you have?

I can't place an xsession or .xinitrc in my home directory; X starts up for a second, then quits without even the cursor appearing. Is there another place I can place xmodmap into, until I can get KDE running?
playahater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question ..
I have set that side buttons do left and right .. BUT ..
can it be set that side buttons do Close and Maximize/Minimize ??
soigres
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a mouse with 6 buttons (has only one nav left button, not the right one)... i says in the xorg.conf that i have 6 buttons or 7 (tried all) but when i type xmodmap it says that i have 12 buttons... so i fill with 8 9 10 11 12 the command but the wheel still remains the nav and the nav is the wheel... what to do???
gettons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to everybody, i 've read the how-to , but at his time I can't use the buttons properly.
On the x server I can use all the buttons , but they are "crossed", I explain better my situation.

I've a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse , I've found it in the ULTRAX CORDLESS MEDIA DESKTOP pack.
If you want to see it go to this url http://www.linux-onlineshop.de/images/product_images/popup_images/722_1.jpg

My mouse have 1 left button, 1 right button , one wheel ( that you can also click on right and left ) , and two side buttons.
This is my configuration on xorg

Quote:

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
#Option "SendCoreEvents" "true" # Not sure if this line is needed ??
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
Option "Buttons" "7" # side buttons scroll up/down
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" #wheel moves forward/back inthe browser

and this is my .xinitrc

Quote:

#exec afterstep
exec gnome-session
#exec /usr/bin/kahakai
#exec starte16
#exec startfluxbox
#exec startkde
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7"
imwheel -k -b -f "67"

and this is my .imwheelrc
Quote:

".*"
None, Up, Alt_L|Left
None, Down, Alt_L|Right

I need help.. :?

So, if I click up and down on wheel I go back and forward....and if I click on the side buttons I scroll the page ON FIREFOX, and also during the browse with nautilus.

Thanks so much.

P.S. = Sorry for my English, I'm an Italian
discostu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: my config Reply with quote

In my configuration I have an IBM mouse with left, right, scroll wheel, and 1 thumb button (or side button or whatever you call it). I set it up so that my scroll up and scroll down perform the default functions, but the scroll wheel is not the middle mouse button. I found it more convenient (for pasting text) to use the thumb button.

There's only 1 annoyance. The mouse wheel is sometimes kinda sticky and upon scrolling up or down I often click it down. In firefox, this seems to send me back in history. I know pressing shift+scroll down should send me back in history (and it does) but I can't figure out why pressing the scroll button does this too. I guess it's probably because the thumb is supposed to do this and I switched them. Any suggestions.

xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"      "Auto"
    Option      "Device"        "/dev/input/mouse0"
    Option      "Buttons"       "6"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "5 6"
EndSection

Code:
$ xmodmap -pp
There are 6 pointer buttons defined.

Physical        Button
     Button          Code
        1              1
        2              6
        3              3
        4              2
        5              4
        6              5

BTW, I am not using imwheel. I just assume not use it, unless necessary.

Thanks.
SJWackness
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a bit of support if anyone has information that may be of help to me.

I have an IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth and while the mouse and keyboard perform all basic functions, I cannot get the scroll wheel or side buttons working. I have used xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5" and ran xmodmap -pp and it shows that the buttons are correctly assigned. The problem occurs when I run xev. When I move the mouse into the box, only the left and right buttons and the wheel click show an event. I get nothing for the scroll wheel or side buttons. What am I missing?
Ranju
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: 6-Button Mouse Reply with quote

Hello
I tried to follow the explained steps, but mouse is not working. I have a Logitech PS/2 with wheel and 6 Buttons (one is the wheel).The 6th Button should start the command "3ddesk" (a little Program t show the Desktop in 3D view).

1.Till now the 6th Button did the same action as the 1rst.
I changed the entries in "xorg" as it has been explained and restarted, but now the 6th Button does not show any event in "xev".

2.I have written the Program imwheelrc with following content
".*"
None, Left, 3ddesk

and tried to run it, but command not found.

How to make the 6th Button work?
How to write a script to start "3ddesk" with the 6th Button?

Regards
thedeadlyquiche
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: X/Mouse Extra Buttons HOWTO Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
Got one of those Microsoft Explorer/Intellimouse mice with the extra buttons? Ever wondered how to get those buttons working in X? Wonder no more...

(This has been tested with a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical and should work with the Explorer too. I would like people to try this out for themselves please and report back on what other mice work or don't work with this method).

A typical configuration for such mice often looks like this [XF86Config]:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"     "ImPS/2"
    Option      "Device"       "/dev/mouse"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

This typically gives you the usual three-button X mouse and a scroll wheel. On my Intellimouse Optical I have two extra buttons, one on each side. I call these 'side buttons' in this HOWTO. With the above configuration, they do nothing, and don't even generate X events.

If you haven't met it already, let me introduce you to a program called 'xev'. Fire it up, move the mouse over the window that pops up, and try hitting a few keys, clicking buttons, etc. If you click the side buttons and nothing happens, read on.

First, you need to change your XF86Config file to use a newer protocol called ExplorerPS/2. I need some input here from people with USB mice - what can you use for USB? You also need to tell the mouse driver that there are now seven buttons in total (left, middle, right, wheelup, wheeldown, side-left, side-right) and this is important too - map the ZAxisMapping to buttons six and seven, NOT four and five:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"     "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option      "Device"       "/dev/mouse"
    Option      "Buttons"      "7"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Ok, now restart your X server and you should be able to get something happening with xev and those side buttons. You'll probably also notice that the side buttons perform the same functions that the mouse wheel used to. This is because of the new ZAxisMapping.

[side note - you might think you could leave ZAxisMapping set to "4 5" but for some reason this doesn't work]

Now we need to fix the button mapping. The best way to do this is to invoke this command when X starts somewhere (e.g. in your .xinitrc):

Code:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

Note the order of the numbers - we've swapped 6 and 7 with 4 and 5. After you run this, you'll find your mouse wheel works properly again. Now, returning to xev, you'll see that the side buttons now produce events. So we've got somewhere. Good.

Now emerge a useful little program called 'imwheel'. Create a file called ~/.imwheelrc and put this into it:

Code:
".*"
 None, Up,   Alt_L|Left
 None, Down, Alt_L|Right

If you read the man page for imwheel, you'll see that ".*" matches any window (although for me it doesn't seem to match the root window, don't know why - anyone know?) and the next two lines instruct imwheel on what to do when the buttons are pressed. Button 6 is 'down' and button 7 is 'up' - this doesn't relate to the action of pressing and releasing a button, it is actually because X maps these buttons onto a sort of virtual mousewheel or 'joystick'.

You can replace Alt_L|Left etc with whatever you want. These settings invoke forward/backward browsing in mozilla.

Now, the final step is to fire up the imwheel program:

Code:
$ imwheel -k -b "67"

Or run it straight after your xmodmap command wherever that may be...

You can do some pretty fancy stuff with this. I have a slightly enhanced .imwheelrc:

Code:
"mozilla*"
 None, Up,   Alt_L|Left
 None, Down, Alt_L|Right

"XTerm"
 None, Up,   Alt_L|Control_L|S
 None, Down, Alt_L|Control_L|T

# this should be last
".*"
 None, Up,   Alt_L|Control_L|P
 None, Down, Alt_L|Control_L|O

Just remember to put the ".*" entry LAST since imwheel stops looking once it matches an entry.

Those longish Alt_L|Control_L|... sequences match settings in my fluxbox/keys file, which do various things such as open new xterms, ffwd xmms, or open the selected URL in Mozilla.

If you've read this far, hopefully everything has worked and you now have all the buttons on your mouse working. Please contribute to this thread if you have further details, or wish to point out errors or inconsistencies.

And as an added bonus, here's a nice little script you can bind to one of your mouse buttons with your window manager. It opens the currently selected text (usually a URL) in a new mozilla tab:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# opens a new tab at selected URL

if mozilla -remote 'ping()' \;
then
        mozilla -remote "openURL(`xclip -o`, new-tab)"
else
        mozilla `xclip -o`
fi

Happy mousing!

--
meowsqueak

I followed this exactly and when I ran startx it crashed my system and required a hardrestart. I will not be trying this again because it screwed up my gnome install.
fbvortex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Map extra button to double click? Reply with quote

So with the correct options for mouse protocol, ZAxisMapping, and xmodmap, I've gotten my USB 4-button + scrollwheel mouse to work correctly in XOrg 6.8.2 . The 4th button generates a Button-6 event, which is interpreted as a "Back" navigation event in programs like Firefox and Konqueror. I am not using imwheel.

However, what I would like to do is map the fourth button to a double-click of Button-1, X-wide. It doesn't seem like I can do this with xbindkeys & xvkbd or any other commonly suggested program(s). Have I missed something and can imwheel or xbindkeys & xvkbd do what I want? If not, how can I consume the Button-6 event and turn it into a double click of Button-1?

Thanks.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: X/Mouse Extra Buttons HOWTO Reply with quote

thedeadlyquiche wrote:
I followed this exactly and when I ran startx it crashed my system and required a hardrestart. I will not be trying this again because it screwed up my gnome install.

Unfortunate.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For interest, I have not yet managed to get this to work for xorg-7.0. Still working on it. If anyone else figures it out before I do, please post here.
downey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get this to work either with X.org 7.0. It was working fine before upgrading and now my side buttons are gone. The only thing that I'm seeing which is odd is that X is now reporting that I have 11 buttons instead of 7 on my mouse. I'm using a MicroSoft Intellimouse. Here is my xorg.conf section:
Code:
Identifier  "Mouse1"
Driver      "mouse"
Option "Protocol"    "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse0"
Option "Buttons"    "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

X is seeing the "Buttons" "7" option but is ignoring it and saying that I have 11 buttons. Any ideas?
downey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of messing around with xev and the config utility I was able to get it to work with X.org 7.0. Here's what I found:
1) The X server does seem to always see my mouse as having 11 buttons even if I use the Option "Buttons" "7". Couldn't seem to fix that.
2) There appears to be a new file ~/.imwheelrc that doesn't work with my configuration. Not too sure where it came from but I deleted it.
3) I removed my Xmodmap file in /etc/X11 and just use the default. Before I had it set to do just
Code:
pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5

4) Changed from using Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" to Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" in my xorg.conf
5) Changed my imwheel command to be just
Code:
imwheel -k -b "000089"
I would think if you are letting imwheel control the scroll wheel then you wouldn't need the -b stuff at all. I don't so I disable the imwheel grabs.

That's it. Here are my imwheelrc
Code:
"(null)"
None, Thumb1, Alt_L|Left, 1
None, Thumb2, Alt_L|Right, 1

".*"

and relevant xorg.conf sections
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option          "Buttons" "7"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Also I'm using a Logitech MX700 mouse. Now all I need to figure out is why my imwheel command isn't getting run from the /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome file when Gnome starts up.
rockandchelle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downey wrote:
After a bit of messing around with xev and the config utility I was able to get it to work with X.org 7.0. Here's what I found:
1) The X server does seem to always see my mouse as having 11 buttons even if I use the Option "Buttons" "7". Couldn't seem to fix that.
2) There appears to be a new file ~/.imwheelrc that doesn't work with my configuration. Not too sure where it came from but I deleted it.
3) I removed my Xmodmap file in /etc/X11 and just use the default. Before I had it set to do just
Code:
pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5

4) Changed from using Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" to Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" in my xorg.conf
5) Changed my imwheel command to be just
Code:
imwheel -k -b "000089"
I would think if you are letting imwheel control the scroll wheel then you wouldn't need the -b stuff at all. I don't so I disable the imwheel grabs.

That's it. Here are my imwheelrc
Code:
"(null)"

".*"

and relevant xorg.conf sections
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option          "Buttons" "7"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Also I'm using a Logitech MX700 mouse. Now all I need to figure out is why my imwheel command isn't getting run from the /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome file when Gnome starts up.

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to let you know I found a way to get it to star when Gnome starts. Now, this probably isn't the cleanest approach, but it does work.

Inside of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d create a file called imwheelrc.

Inside that file put:

Code:
imwheel -k -b "000089"

Then save that file, you will have to do this as root. Next make this file executable using the following command:

Code:
chomd +x imwheelrc

And that should be all you have to do, next time the gnome starts it should load it, now this is global for everyone, just not one user.

I hope this helps, I am still learning but just wanted to let you know my success.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a logitech MX310 USB and "lost" my extra buttons unser xorg 7.0, like others here. I got it to work as before by the following. Oh, and I have NEVER used mwheel for the simple functionality I need. (Having the buttons available for games, and "back" and "forward" in Firefox)

xorg.conf:

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

script in my xfce ~/Desktop/Autostart to run xmodmap:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7" &

Oh and here's what xmodmap -pp gives me:

There are 11 pointer buttons defined.

Physical Button
Button Code
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 8
7 9
8 6
9 7
10 10
11 11

I think the upshot is that the 6.x mouse driver wanted the side buttons to be 6 & 7 and the new 7.x one wants them to be 8 & 9. Don't ask me why my mouse now has 11 buttons to X, though.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
Drunkula
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this may be a stupid question. Where the heck did xev go? I was trying to determine what button my ONLY thumb button should be. I was hoping to make it act like a "Back" button in Firefox. But alas, xev is nowhere to be found in my setup. Is it no longer part of xorg-x11 7?

Code:
 equery l xorg-x11
[ Searching for package 'xorg-x11' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0-r1 (0)

Incidentally my mouse is a Logitech "Cordless MouseMan Optical" according to the label on the bottom. For the most part I am working except that thumb button and the middle button (on the wheel) does not paste anymore.
discostu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drunkula wrote:
Now this may be a stupid question. Where the heck did xev go? I was trying to determine what button my ONLY thumb button should be. I was hoping to make it act like a "Back" button in Firefox. But alas, xev is nowhere to be found in my setup. Is it no longer part of xorg-x11 7?

Code:
 equery l xorg-x11
[ Searching for package 'xorg-x11' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0-r1 (0)

Incidentally my mouse is a Logitech "Cordless MouseMan Optical" according to the label on the bottom. For the most part I am working except that thumb button and the middle button (on the wheel) does not paste anymore.

Here:
x11-apps/xev
Available versions: 1.0.1 1.0.2
Installed: 1.0.2
Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
Description: X.Org xev application
Drunkula
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discostu wrote:

Here:
x11-apps/xev
Available versions: 1.0.1 1.0.2
Installed: 1.0.2
Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
Description: X.Org xev application

Ahh it was a stupid question then! :oops: I would have assumed it would be part of another package. Thanks Discostu. Will give it a shot when I get home...
tkhobbes
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got wheel and extra button working with a MS Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth?

I am struggling for months now - all howto's I found did not work... I don't know whether it's bluetooth or what else, but my system does not even recognise a mouse when issueing "cat /proc/bus/input/devices":

Code:
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0 evbug
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0005 Vendor=045e Product=0098 Version=0010
N: Name="Bluetooth HID Boot Protocol Device"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input5
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1 evbug
B: EV=7
B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103

Don't know what I should do.... return the mouse? ;)
dia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help anyone but I was having problems with my MS LaserMouse 6000 KB/M combo.

Inside /etc/X11/Xmodmap I put:

Code:

pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7

This made it to where the left and right click work as normal, the wheel moves up and down as normal(instead of up being backwards in a browser) and the front and back left thumb buttons move forward and backward in a browser, respectively.

Not sure what I had to do to get the thumb buttons bound like that but I really just played with xmodmap -e pointer command for a couple minutes to find what binds to what.

Hope this helps someone... :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: