X and i3, UTF-8 in URXVT and group membership not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mwica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: X and i3, UTF-8 in URXVT and group membership not working Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a weird problem... probably simple for you guys though~

The problem started when I fixed my USE-Flags and deep-cleaned my system. When I got back into .i3 after reboot(About a week later I might add..) ÅÄÖ didn't work in URXVT, I have a message written in .bashrc that comes up everytime I start it, then I tried to type it and nothing happened. While troubleshooting this I went into the framebuffer terminal and launched URXVT into X and then it works! ... however, after troubleshooting this a while I got bored and thought I'd play a little nethack and then I was unable to launch it with "command not found". I remembered I installed it through SSH when I was away during christmas and then added myself to the games group so I went back to the frambuffer terminal and there I was able to launch nethack with the same account.

So, this is where I gave up and thought I'd post here :3 I think this has something to do with X.. but not sure?

So in short, ÅÄÖ does not work in URXVT and I don't seem to be able to inherit my permissions properly while in i3. But if I launch something outside of i3 for example an URXVT terminal and add it to a display in X everything works.

Anyone got any ideas? If you need to see anything please tell me what and where.

Thanks!
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds a bit as if you had inconsistent locale settings and/or some of your environment settings were in an incorrect place (therefore not getting initialized correctly).
Mwica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, well somehow yes. I got en_US in my system but swedish keyboard layout. Since I am allergic to swedish systems :) Enough that I have to work with them at work.

When I saw this I entered locale in URXVT started from the buffer terminal and got this:
miwca@Willow ~ $ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Then I opened a new one through i3 and got this:
miwca@Willow ~/Downloads $ locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Can this be a permission issue of some sort?

Edit: Also tested with Aterm with same results.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I get the feeling "seem to be able to inherit my permissions properly" is a case of a bad translation...

Anyway, it depends on your shell (and sometimes even login manager), but see for example 'INVOCATION' section of 'man bash'.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: