gnome3.8 and gentoo and systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: gnome3.8 and gentoo and systemd Reply with quote

Hi, maybe I'm missing something, why in gentoo is systemd mandatory for gnome 3.8+? Gnome developers said is not, and ubuntu is not using it in favour of upstart (while debian is debating). Also if I don't like some gnome choice, I'm feeling quite good with gnome applications and the 3.6 shell but now is out of portage ;(

I don't like kde4+, especially plasma/oxygen, at the moment I'm using xfce with compiz :) but is not the same, maybe unity?

I have to take a decision but I don't want systemd, especially because I'm "forced" to use it if I want to use gnome 8O so I would like to know, why?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it requires systemd-logind, so that is why it will pull in systemd, even when it doesn't need it to be the actual init system.

I've heard Canonical use a cut-out logind package that is outdated already and will need to be replaced with a full systemd package the next time they do a major upgrade. They do all kinds of weird stuff with their Gnome parts anway.

Warning: The above information might be completely outdated or outright wrong, as I'm merely a spectator when it comes to Gnome.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: gnome3.8 and gentoo and systemd Reply with quote

pingoo wrote:
Hi, maybe I'm missing something, why in gentoo is systemd mandatory for gnome 3.8+?

It is controlled by an USE flag (openrc-force, which you can unmask), therefore it is not mandatory; yet it is highly recommended, due to more and more functionality starting to require this.

pingoo wrote:
Gnome developers said is not

In order to ensure we know what they say, it is best to fully read https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointEleven/Features/SystemdUserSession about this.
pingoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@genstorm: thanks, in fact I asked because I had similar info reading in the site I linked
@TomWij: thank you, so maybe is why at the moment is not mandatory but, probably, just at the moment... Hoping in a different gnome approach...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: