emerge output clarification - newlib 2.1.0 update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: emerge output clarification - newlib 2.1.0 update Reply with quote

:?: I am getting messages about file collisions when emerging the latest version of newlib. The files are from the installation of newlib-2.0.0, so it should be perfectly acceptable to write over them.

Here is the eix output for the package:

Code:
[UD] cross-armv7m-unknown-eabi/newlib [1]
     Available versions: 
     (armv7m-unknown-eabi) (~*)1.18.0^s (~*)1.19.0^s (~*)1.20.0^s
     (0)    (*)2.0.0^s (~*)2.1.0^s (~*)9999^s
       {nls threads unicode CROSSCOMPILE_OPTS="headers-only"}
     Installed versions:  2.0.0(armv7m-unknown-eabi)^s[?](07:41:59 14/10/13)(nls unicode -threads CROSSCOMPILE_OPTS="-headers-only")
     Homepage:            http://sourceware.org/newlib/
     Description:         Newlib is a C library intended for use on embedded systems

Here is the emerge information:

Code:
[ebuild  NS   *] cross-armv7m-unknown-eabi/newlib-2.1.0:0::x-portage [2.0.0:armv7m-unknown-eabi::x-portage] USE="nls unicode -threads" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

If my understanding is correct, emerge is trying to emerge newlib-2.1.0 into slot (0), but considers that the existing version is in slot armv7m-unknown-eabi and will therefore not be un-installed, hence the file collision problem

Would this be the correct understanding? Also, I guess one way to resolve this problem would be to remove version 2.0.0 before installing 2.1.0. Would that also be the correct approach?
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem. I also think that the file collisions are a result of the same slot number.
Instead of uninstalling I set FEATURES="-collision-detect -protect-owned" before the update, in order to blindly replace the files and wipe out the old newlib instead of giving it a different slot. The resulting toolchain seems to work. However I do not know whether this is the best or at least a recommendable solution to the problem...

tom
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the uninstall then install the latest version approach. This didn't create any preserved libs issues, so I guess there is no problem with your approach in terms of operation. Assuming you take those commands back out of make.conf though, I guess you will have issues with future upgrades as emerge will detect the clash again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: