Getting function keys working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mreff555
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Getting function keys working Reply with quote

I was following this tutorial, as well as xev, and xmodmap to try and get function keys working.
Code:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Use_Multimedia_Keys#Setting_up_xmodmap

I'm unable to find the list of keysyms at /usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB which the tutorial speaks of.
Instead I ran across the directory /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes. There seems to be a file for multiple architectures includeing x86 and x98.
I'm not really sure about the last one. So regardless this file SEEM's useful as it allows aliases to keymaps to be defined but I have a couple questions about it.

1. How do I know which file is being used? eg. x86, or x98? I thought this might be defined in /etc/conf.d but I can't seem to find anything.
2. Can I use this to circumvent using Xmodmap?
3. Where can a find a list of thise functions eg. XF86PowerOff, or XF86AudioRaiseVolume?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

there is a tool called xev.

I highly recommend to unplug or not use your mouse and than check with xev in an opened terminal
Code:

[I] x11-apps/xev
     Available versions:  1.2.0 1.2.1
     Installed versions:  1.2.1(22:22:01 30.09.2013)
     Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
     Description:         print contents of X events

Well i use i3 in the X-Server environment. I am able to use one of my keys with this line in my i3/config file

bindsym XF86AudioMute exec "amixer set Master toggle"

As desctop environments are different you may need to change manually some config files to get your keys working.

I discovered for my box that some keys give the same keycodes and therefore I am unable to use them. I was also unable to get the keys working which generated some 0x hex code. Those keys who generated those XF names I could use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: